Beach Reports Oil Discovery at El Salmiya-2 Well in Egypt
Beach Energy Ltd and its main partner, the Egyptian General Petroleum Corporation (EGPC), reported that the operator of its Abu Sennan concession in the Western Desert in Egypt, Kuwait Energy Egypt, has completed a drill stem test (DST) of the Kharita Formation in the El Salmiya-2 well, which flowed oil at a rate of 3,530 barrels per day and 4.7 million standard cubic feet per day of gas.
The oil column within the Kharita Formation is 223 feet (68 meters), measured depth (MD), equating to 161 feet (49 meters) true vertical depth (TVD). The sandstone appears to be of excellent quality with 184 feet (56 meters) of net pay (MD), delivering a net to gross of around 80 percent within the oil column.
Oil from the DST has an API of 42 degrees, making it light crude, and is the first time oil has been encountered in the Kharita Formation within the concession. Production has previously been obtained from the shallower Bahariya and Abu Roash Formations. The DST performed on the Kharita Formation was undertaken through a 64/64 inch choke, with the well flowing naturally for six hours. The perforation interval was 13,468 to 13,517 feet (4,105 to 4,120 meters), MD, equating to a 36 feet (11 meter) interval, TVD.
The operator has estimated gross 2P reserves of 18.5 million barrels of oil and 142 bullion cubic feet of gas in the Kharita Formation only. An extended production test has commenced and will provide further data enabling confirmation of the operator’s initial reserve assessment. Beach believes there is potential for further upside within the Kharita Formation and the additional identified pay zones.
As previously released, four zones of hydrocarbon shows were identified in the well as follows:
- Abu Roash “C” Member between 11,221 and 11,260 feet, or 3,420 and 3,432 meters (MD)
- Abu Roash “E” Member between 11,755 and 11,841 feet, or 3,583 and 3,609 meters (MD)
- Bahariya Formation between 13,192 and 13,196 feet, or 4,021 to 4,022 meters (MD) and
- Kharita Formation between 13,347 and 13,593 feet, or 4,068 and 4,143 meters (MD)
The Joint Venture equity interests in Abu Sennan are:
- Beach (via wholly owned subsidiary Beach Petroleum (Egypt) Pty Ltd) - 22 percent
- Kuwait Energy Egypt Ltd - 50 percent and operator
- Dover Investments Ltd - 28 percent
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- Beach Energy Buys Origin's Lattice in $1.25 Billion Deal (Sep 28)
- Beach Energy Completes Callawonga-12 Well Drilling in Cooper Basin (Aug 25)
- Beach Energy Spuds Callawonga-12 Well in South Australia's Cooper Basin (Aug 18)