Reliance, BP Discover Gas Condensate in Cauvery Basin

Reliance, BP Discover Gas Condensate in Cauvery Basin

Reliance Industries Limited reported Friday that the company and BP plc have made a new gas condensate discovery in the Cauvery basin off the east coast of India.

The discovery at the CYIIID5-S1 well in deepwater block CY-DWN-2001/2 (CYD5) is the second in the block, which is located 38.5 miles (62 kilometers) from the coast in the Cauvery Basin. The well was drilled in water depths of 5,719 feet (1,743 meters) to a total depth of 18,802 feet (5,731 meters), with the primary objective of exploring Mesozoic-aged reservoirs.

Reliance said preliminary evaluation of well data and fluid samples indicated presence of gas condensate in the reservoir interval with a gross column of 469 feet (143 meters).

"The well reached its total depth in early August and Reliance, as operator, has conducted drill stem test (DST) to evaluate the potential of the discovery. The well which had the initial reservoir pressure of 8,000 pounds per square inch (psi) flowed gas at the rate of 35.2 million standard cubic feet per day with condensate at the rate of 413 barrels per day through 52/64 inch choke during DST. Well flow rates during such tests are limited by the rig and well test equipment configuration," Reliance said in a press statement.

Reliance had notified the Government of India and the Directorate General of Hydrocarbons about the discovery, which has been named D-56.

Reliance has 70 percent interest in the CYD5 block, while BP holds the remaining 30 percent.

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Click on the button below to add a comment.
Post a Comment
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.

Related Companies
Events  SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER

Our Privacy Pledge
SUBSCRIBE

More from this Author
Chee Yew Cheang
APAC Editor | Rigzone
 -  Malaysia's InvestKL Woos Top Oil, Gas ... (Oct 6)
 -  Petrobangla Invites EOIs for 3 Offshor... (Sep 30)
 -  Malaysia's SapuraKencana Posts 7.1% Ga... (Sep 29)
 -  TH Heavy Engineering, McDermott End Pa... (Sep 26)
 -  Singapore's NUS Slowly Builds its Petr... (Sep 26)


Most Popular Articles

From the Career Center
Jobs that may interest you
GIS Intern Job
Expertise: Cartography / Mapping|Landman|Modeling
Location: Eau Claire, WI
 
Core Analyst II
Expertise: Geoscience Technician|Laboratory Ops / Tech
Location: Houston, TX
 
Asset Integrity Manager
Expertise: Asset Management|QA / QC / Inspection|Reliability Engineer
Location: Pasadena
 
search for more jobs

Brent Crude Oil : $53/BBL 1.72%
Light Crude Oil : $49.77/BBL 2.27%
Natural Gas : $3.6/MMBtu 1.09%
Updated in last 24 hours