Cuadrilla Resources CEO Frances Egan said Sunday that he has received an email threatening his company's premises with pipe bombs amid a high-profile anti-fracking protest that is ongoing at the firm's Balcombe site in West Sussex, southern England.
The UK-focused unconventional oil and gas firm began exploration drilling for oil at Balcombe Friday morning. But several days before the drilling began, the arrival of a drilling rig and associated equipment at the site was greeted by a high-profile protest from members of the local community at Balcombe as well as professional anti-fracking protestors who arrived in Balcombe from around the country.
So far several dozen arrests have been made by police deployed at the site.
Now Egan, in a piece written in UK newspaper The Mail on Sunday to explain Cuadrilla's current drilling program at Balcombe as well as the company’s wider plans for hydraulic fracturing, has said that he received an anonymous email that threatened to send pipe bombs by express mail to the company's premises.
Egan wrote that the message said: "Fracking kills and so do we."
Elsewhere in the UK, Cuadrilla has begun talks with local communities in Lancashire about its plans for gas exploration and hydraulic fracturing in the Bowland shale, where the British Geological Survey estimates there is up to 300 trillion cubic feet of gas resources.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Click on the button below to add a comment.
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
More from this Author
Most Popular Articles
From the Career Center
Jobs that may interest you