BP confirmed to Rigzone Monday that it has withdrawn approximately 60 of its staff from Egypt amid the unrest in the country following last week's military coup.
"Something like 60 people came out on Friday, just as a precaution," said a BP spokesman. "Everyone is safe and well. All our local staff are safe and well, and there's been no impact on production."
Around 40 essential expatriate staff remain and that the company's office in Cairo is open.
Monday saw further bloodshed in Egypt after a weekend of violence. The BBC reported that at least 42 people were shot dead near a military barracks in Cairo after what Egypt's army described as an attempt to storm the barracks, where ousted Egyptian President Mohammed Morsi is believed to be in detention.
BP said it remains "fully committed" to Egypt and intends to return its staff as soon as possible.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Click on the button below to add a comment.
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
More from this Author
Most Popular Articles