Don't display this message again [x]

Dear User,

On March 28, 2015 OilCareers and Rigzone will be coming together to provide you with access to the world’s largest resource for Oil and Gas news, jobs and industry insights.

We have recently updated our Terms & Conditions to accommodate these changes. Please read them carefully. By using the Site, you agree to be bound by these terms and conditions. These Terms and Conditions are effective as of March 30, 2015.

Finance & Investing
News Services
Get free industry updates via email.
Daily News
Weekly News
Equipment Updates
Weekly Job Register
Monthly Event Guide
Our privacy


Brazil's HRT Buys 60% Stake in Offshore Polvo Oil Field from BP

change text size

RIO DE JANEIRO - Brazilian oil start-up HRT Participacoes em Petroleo SA said Monday it would acquire a 60% stake in the offshore Polvo heavy oil field from the local unit of BP Plc for $135 million.

The deal, which is subject to regulator approval, would mark HRT's transformation from a pure exploration play into a small oil producer. Polvo produces about 13,000 barrels of heavy crude oil a day, according to HRT. The Brazilian unit of Denmark's Maersk Oil holds the remaining 40% of Polvo.

BP, meanwhile, sheds an asset that held very little interest for the company after its acquisition in 2011. BP bought Polvo as part of a larger, $3.2 billion deal to acquire the Brazilian assets of Devon Energy Corp. BP had actively sought to sell off its stake in Polvo, looking toward exploring other deep-water prospects acquired from Devon.

HRT, which had a cash position of about $500 million at the end of 2012, said that it would finance a large part of the purchase price via a loan with Credit Suisse.

Given HRT's focus on conserving its cash to fund its exploration plans, the deal likely increases the chance HRT will be nothing more than a bit player in Brazil's upcoming 11th-round auction of oil and natural gas exploration concessions set for May 14-15. In March, HRT Chief Executive Marcio Rocha Mello said in an interview that the company was in talks with several companies about partnerships to participate in the auction, but "without using cash."

HRT recently started drilling its first well of the coast of Namibia. The West African nation is the crown jewel of HRT's portfolio of oil and natural gas exploration blocks. Geologists believe the highly prospective region off Namibia's coast could hold billions of barrels of oil under similar conditions to Brazil's subsalt, where oil was discovered trapped under a thick layer of salt. The two areas were connected millions of years ago.

The company plans to drill three wells off the coast of Namibia this year, while negotiating with other companies to sell an additional stake in the blocks to fund a fourth well.

HRT operates 21 blocks in the Solimoes Basin of Brazil's remote Amazon region with a 55% stake, while Russian partner TNK-Brasil holds the remaining 45%. The two firms have joined forces with state-run energy giant Petroleo Brasileiro to find a strategy to generate cash from natural gas discoveries made in the region.

Copyright (c) 2012 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.


Post a Comment Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.

Related Companies

Most Popular Articles
From the Career Center
Jobs that may interest you
Refinery Capital Project Manager
Expertise: Project Management|Refinery / Plant Operations Supervisor
Location: Houston, TX
Senior Sales Representative
Expertise: Business Development|Sales & Marketing|Technical Sales
Location: Texas or surrounding states, TX
Project Manager
Expertise: Project Engineer|Project Management
Location: Denver, Colorado
search for more jobs