Cendor Has 16 Times More Oil Than Previously Thought
KUALA LUMPUR - Malaysia's state energy company Petroliam Nasional Bhd, or Petronas, said Thursday one of its oil fields off Peninsular Malaysia contains over 16 times more resources than initially estimated.
Petronas has successfully drilled at the Cendor field and found that it could yield more than 200 million stock tank barrels of oil, making it one of the biggest oil fields in Malaysia, Petronas said in a statement. Stock tank barrels refers to oil at surface conditions.
Amerada Hess discovered the Cendor field in 2011 and at that time estimated it would yield 12 million barrels of oil.
Petronas said production at the block known as PM304, which includes the Cendor field, will start in stages throughout 2013, which will yield 30,000 barrels per day by end of the year.
In May 2005, Petrofac Ltd. bought Amerada's stake in the block. Petrofac then drilled the well along with joint venture partners Petronas, Kuwait Foreign Petroleum Exploration Company and PetroVietnam Exploration Production Corp Ltd.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
Operates 4 Offshore Rigs
- Hess: World Needs New Offshore Oil Investments to Avoid Shortages (Sep 28)
- Hess Slashes 2017 Capital Budget After Quarterly Loss (Jul 26)
- Suriname Signs Offshore Oil Deals with ﻿Exxon, Hess and Statoil (Jul 14)
Company: PETRONAS more info
Operates 9 Offshore Rigs
- Exec: Petronas' Canadian Unit To Look At Other LNG Opportunities (Oct 11)
- Adviser: Malaysia's Petronas Puts Some Canadian Assets Up For Sale (Oct 04)
- Petronas Chem Sells Half Of Polymers Business To Saudi Aramco For $900MM (Oct 02)
Company: Petrofac more info
- Petrofac Extends North Sea Contract with Chevron (Oct 05)
- Petrofac JV Awarded $2B Refinery Contract In Oman (Aug 04)
- Petrofac Makes 29% Headcount Reduction, Revenue Hits $7.8B (Feb 22)