ConocoPhillips Spuds Proteus Well Offshore WA
Karoon Gas Australia Ltd. advised that the Proteus‐1 exploration well was spud at 04:28 hours (WDT) Monday.
The Transocean Legend (mid-water semisub) is drilling the exploration well, which is operated by ConocoPhillips. ConocoPhillips is the operator of the jointly held WA‐314‐P, WA‐315‐P and WA‐398‐P Browse Basin permits containing the previously announced Greater Poseidon gas discoveries. Karoon Gas Australia Ltd holds 40% of the permit WA‐315‐P and WA‐398‐P, and 90% of permit WA‐314‐P.
Proteus‐1 is the third well in the exploration program. Proteus‐1 is located in permit WA‐398‐P on a large tilted fault block approximately 8.7 miles (14 kilometers) south east of the Poseidon‐1 discovery well.
Upcoming Well Program
The exploration program, operated by ConocoPhillips, plans to utilize the Transocean Legend semisubmersible for the entire campaign and is expected to continue through 2013.
A minimum of five wells will be drilled during the exploration program. The principal objective of the exploration program is to better define the size and quality of the hydrocarbon accumulations within the exploration permits which contain the greater Poseidon trend.
Additional well locations for the remainder of the program will be announced as they obtain joint venture approval.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
Operates 12 Offshore Rigs
- ConocoPhillips Vows Financial Discipline As Aims To Boost Output (Nov 08)
- ConocoPhillips' Profit Beats Estimates, But Budget Cut 10% (Oct 26)
- Most US Gulf Oil Output Offline Ahead of Tropical Storm Nate (Oct 06)
Company: Karoon Gas Australia Ltd. more info
- Karoon Buys PEPC's 35% Stake in 4 Santos Basin Blocks in Brazil for $20.5M (Sep 28)
- PEPC Makes Overdue Payment to Karoon for Brazil's Santos Basin Blocks (Jun 16)
- Karoon Issues Default Notice to Santos Basin Block Partner PEPC (Jun 15)