Japex to Plough over $1B into Expanding Hangingstone Bitumen Facility
Japan Petroleum Exploration Co (Japex) plans to increase output at its Canadian oil sands project by more than four times, as it looks to cater to growing demand for the fuel by refineries in the U.S.
In a supplementary presentation released by Japex, the company revealed that capacity at its Hangingstone facility will be expanded to 30,000 barrels of heavy crude oil per day from its present production capacity of 6,000 to 7,000 barrels per day. Heavy crude oil is also commonly known as bitumen.
The facility, to be expanded in two phases, will cost $1.4 billion (CAD 1.4 billion). The expanded unit is expected to start pumping oil in the first half of 2016.
Japex is considering the possibility of developing other oil sand leases – including those of Chard, Corner and Thornbury – as it is keen to develop this segment of the oil market as one of its core businesses, the company said in a statement.
The project, in which Nexen owns a 25 percent stake and Japex the rest, applied in 2010 for regulatory approval to expand capacity. China’s CNOOC successfully completed its purchase of Nexen, for $15.1 billion, earlier on Dec.8; meaning that the Chinese giant is now part-owner of the Canadian oil sands project.
Japex plans to finance its portion in the project – costing $1.1 billion – through its own funds and bank loans, while Nexen will take a final decision on the investment in early 2013.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
Operates 2 Offshore Rigs
- Alberta Regulators Charge Nexen Energy Over 2015 Pipeline Spill (Jul 06)
- Cenovus Drops Most Ever as $13.3 Billion Deal Ramps Up Risks (Mar 30)
- UKCS Oil, Gas Extraction Drops 10% (Dec 08)
Company: CNOOC more info
- CNOOC Completes Test Runs at Huizhou Refinery in Guangdong - Report (Oct 09)
- Exxon Mobil Bets on Brazil, Buys 10 Oil Blocks in Auction (Sep 28)
- China's CNOOC Begins Oil Partner Hunt in Mexico Deep Waters (Sep 15)
Company: Japan Exploration (Japex) more info
- Japex To Keep Canada Oil Sands Ops Idle After Fire Due To Low Prices (May 12)
- JAPEX Engages Aonex for Construction of Japan's Soma LNG Terminal (Jul 09)
- MedcoEnergi Inks Agreement to Sell Gas from Aceh's Block A to Pertamina (Jan 28)