Marathon Makes Discovery with Hamsun Well Offshore Norway

Marathon Hamsun Well, Block 150
(Click to Enlarge)
Marathon Oil's subsidiary, Marathon Petroleum Norge AS, has made an oil and gas discovery on the company-operated Hamsun well (24/9-7) offshore Norway. The discovery is located in production license 150, which is approximately 136 miles from Stavanger, Norway, in 403 feet of water on the Norwegian continental shelf.

"The Hamsun well builds upon our successful 2003 Norwegian drilling program, which resulted in three discoveries," said Philip Behrman, Marathon senior vice president of Worldwide Exploration. "Results from this well are being used to evaluate a reservoir management strategy for the Hamsun accumulation including a possible tie-back to the Alvheim development." Located in PL150, approximately 6 miles south of the Alvheim area, the 24/9-7 vertical well was drilled to a total depth of 7,382 feet below sea level utilizing Odfjell's semisub, Deepsea Delta. The well encountered 121 feet of net gas pay and 38 feet of net oil pay, mainly in two reservoirs.

Three sidetrack wells were drilled. A downdip sidetrack (24/9-7a) encountered 104 feet of net oil pay and 20 feet of net gas pay. An updip sidetrack (24/9-7b) encountered 20 feet of net gas pay. A lateral sidetrack (24/9-7c) encountered 95 feet of net oil pay.

Extensive down-hole samples, core and wireline logs were collected for further analysis. Preliminary evaluation of the drilling results indicates reservoir communication with oil found in the previously drilled Grieg well, 24/9-6, and has defined both the gas-oil and oil-water contacts, with an oil column height of approximately 348 feet.

Marathon is the operator of PL150 holding a 65 percent working interest with Det Norske Oljeselskap AS, (DNO), holding the remaining 35 percent. Lundin Petroleum AB has acquired DNO's 35 percent interest in PL150, which is subject to governmental approval.

The DeepSea Delta has been transferred to production license 266 to drill the exploration well 24/6-2 operated by A/S Norske Shell.

Our Privacy Pledge

Most Popular Articles
Related Articles

Brent Crude Oil : $51.78/BBL 0.77%
Light Crude Oil : $50.85/BBL 0.83%
Natural Gas : $2.99/MMBtu 4.77%
Updated in last 24 hours