Shell, McDermott and Petrofac Win OPITO Safety Awards
Royal Dutch Shell, McDermott Middle East and Petrofac have received recognition for their work in health and safety at the 2012 OPITO Safety and Competency Awards in Abu Dhabi, according to the training organization.
OPITO announced Tuesday that a Shell employee won its Chairman's Award, while McDermott Middle East and Petrofac won the Employer of the Year award and Training Provider of the Year award respectively.
Stephen Macklin, an HSE manager at Shell, won his award because of what OPITO described as "his passionate commitment to helping improve the skills and safety of the oil and gas workforce in Iraq". OPITO cited Macklin's exceptional leadership to promote the value of a standards-based approach to workforce developing using OPITO standards as a key reason for his winning the award.
OPITO Group Chief Executive David Doig commented in a statement released by the organization:
"With a strong moral compass and sense of social fairness, Stephen has contributed much over the years, not least his current involvement in driving the development of the Abu Alkaseeb vocational training centre in Basra."
McDermott won its award in recognition of its commitment to building a safe and competent workforce, according to OPITO. The firm's United Arab Emirates training center was the first non-commercial training organization in the region to achieve OPITO accreditation, and completing the Basic Offshore Safety Induction and Emergency Training course is mandatory for all employees prior to any offshore visit or assignment.
Petrofac won Training Provider of the Year due to partner feedback that described training from the company – which operates seven OPITO-certified training centers around the world – as "world class". OPITO said that Petrofac's training has helped it remain "lost time injury free" for more than three years and led to a 20-percent reduction in minor incidents over the last 12 months.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- Exclusive: McDermott to Double Headcount in Mexico by Year-End (May 05)
- McDermott Opens New Office in Saudi Arabia; Adds 300 Jobs (Nov 02)
- Mexico's Sole Platform Fabrication Project to Create Jobs (Sep 27)
Company: Shell more info
Operates 27 Offshore Rigs
- API Panel Member: Voluntary Methane Program Forthcoming (Oct 06)
- Eni Bets Big on Zohr Explorer Finding New Treasure (Oct 06)
- Shell, Varo End Talks on Germany Refinery Stake Sale (Oct 06)
Company: Petrofac more info
- Petrofac Extends North Sea Contract with Chevron (Oct 05)
- Petrofac JV Awarded $2B Refinery Contract In Oman (Aug 04)
- Petrofac Makes 29% Headcount Reduction, Revenue Hits $7.8B (Feb 22)