Source: Petronas Submitted Revised Bid for Progress
KUALA LUMPUR - Malaysia's state energy company Petroliam Nasional Bhd. has submitted a revised takeover offer for Progress Energy Resources Corp., a person with knowledge of the matter said Friday.
The modified bid was submitted to the Canadian government two weeks ago, the person said. He declined to elaborate.
The Canadian government surprised markets Oct. 20 when it rejected a bid from Petroliam Nasional, also known as Petronas, to buy Calgary, Alberta-based Progress for 5.18 billion Canadian dollars ($5.19 billion). It said the deal, as it was structured, didn't provide a "net benefit" to the [Canadian] economy, as required by Canadian law.
Canada gave Petronas 30 days to resubmit.
Petronas executives met with Canadian officials to find ways to complete the takeover, the company said.
The Canadian government is also reviewing a proposal by Chinese state-controlled oil company CNOOC Ltd. to buy Canada's Nexen Inc. for $15.1 billion.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
Operates 9 Offshore Rigs
- Exec: Petronas' Canadian Unit To Look At Other LNG Opportunities (Oct 11)
- Adviser: Malaysia's Petronas Puts Some Canadian Assets Up For Sale (Oct 04)
- Petronas Chem Sells Half Of Polymers Business To Saudi Aramco For $900MM (Oct 02)
Company: Progress Energy, Inc. more info
- Petronas' Canadian Unit Says Looking to Sell Oil and Gas Asset in Alberta (Oct 05)
- Talisman Sells 75% of its Montney Acreage in British Columbia to Progress (Nov 08)
- Forex Markets Await Cnooc-Nexen, Petronas-Progress News (Dec 07)