Senex Confirms 'Excellent' Production Potential at Mustang Well

Senex Energy Limited advised that initial production testing at the Mustang-1 oil exploration well in South Australian Cooper Basin permit PEL 111 has confirmed excellent oil production potential.


  • Mustang-1 free flowed at a rate of 6,700 barrels of oil per day (bopd) during clean up.
  • Despite being choke constrained, the well produced at a controlled rate of ~800 bopd during a 10 day production test with minimal pressure depletion.
  • The well exhibited excellent reservoir quality with highly permeable, oil filled sands.
  • Planning is underway to expedite longer term production testing at Mustang-1, targeting 2,000 bopd.

In July 2012, the Mustang-1 oil exploration well intersected an interpreted net oil pay of 13 feet (4 meters) in the oil-bearing sands of the mid-Birkhead Formation over the interval 5,863 to 5,878 feet (1,787 to 1,791.5 meters). During a drill stem test, oil flowed to surface after 23 minutes and continued to flow at a rate equivalent to approximately 2,500 bopd. The well was then cased and suspended as a future oil producer.

The well continued to demonstrate excellent reservoir quality during initial production testing. Mustang-1 was completed as a free-flowing oil producer in early September 2012 and produced the equivalent of 6,700 bopd through a ¾ inch choke during a 15 minute clean up flow. During a subsequent 10 day production test, the well produced at a controlled rate of ~800 bopd through an 18/64 inch choke with minimal pressure depletion.

Senex Managing Director Ian Davies said planning was underway to place Mustang-1 on extended production test within this quarter.

"Mustang-1 is a perfect example of Senex's capacity to accelerate oil field developments. It is also an excellent example of the significant upside within our Cooper Basin acreage," he said.

Senex holds a 60 percent interest in PEL 111 and is the Operator of the joint venture. The remaining 40 percent interest is held by Beach Energy Limited.


Our Privacy Pledge

Most Popular Articles

From the Career Center
Jobs that may interest you
Lead Riser Engineer
Expertise: Project Engineer|Subsea Engineering|Umbilicals, Risers and Flowlines
Location: Houston, TX
United States El Reno: Perforating Specialist, Assoc
Expertise: Perforation|Petroleum Engineering
Location: El Reno, OK
United States El Reno: General Field Engineer - Cased Hole
Expertise: Petroleum Engineering
Location: El Reno, OK
search for more jobs

Brent Crude Oil : $56.86/BBL 0.76%
Light Crude Oil : $50.66/BBL 0.21%
Natural Gas : $2.959/MMBtu 0.30%
Updated in last 24 hours