FT: Rosneft CEO Says Putin Backs BP, Rosneft Plan for TNK-BP
LONDON - Russian President Vladimir Putin backs BP PLC's plan to sell its 50% stake in TNK-BP to state-controlled OAO Rosneft and use some of the proceeds to buy Rosneft shares, the head of the Russian company told the Financial Times in a story published Wednesday.
"[Rosneft] will have the opportunity to acquire a strategic investor," the paper quoted Rosneft Chief Executive Igor Sechin as saying, "so we do support this, and the president also spoke in support of this."
Mr. Sechin said Mr. Putin had the last word. "Considering the fact that Rosneft is a strategic company ... the main parameters of the deal have to be agreed with the presidential administration," he said, the FT reported.
Mr. Sechin said acquiring half of TNK-BP would be a good strategic fit for Rosneft, with the company's crude feeding into its many refineries both in Russia and continental Europe.
He said he was already in "daily contact" with German Khan, TNK-BP's executive director, "on the joint use of oil infrastructure so as to lower transport costs and achieve synergies," the paper said.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
Operates 28 Offshore Rigs
- BP Midstream Partners Seeks To Raise Up To $893MM In IPO (Oct 16)
- BP, Azerbaijan's SOCAR To Sign Caspian Sea Exploration Deal In 2017 (Oct 12)
- Increasing the World's Oil Reserves with Digitization (Oct 09)
Company: Rosneft more info
- Buyers Eye Sinopec's Argentina Oil Assets in Sale Worth Up to $1B - Sources (Oct 09)
- Venezuela Confirms Discussing Citgo Collateral Swap With Rosneft (Oct 04)
- CEFC Head Riffs on $30 Oil and Rosneft in 12,000-Word Note (Oct 03)
Company: TNK-BP more info
- Rosneft Board Member Rejects Criticism of TNK-BP Buyout (Oct 04)
- Rosneft: TNK-BP Integration 'Mostly Complete' (Jun 20)
- TNK-BP Acquisition Boosts Rosneft's 1Q Production (Apr 30)