Eni Norge, Lundin Make Gas Condensate Discovery in Barents Sea
Sweden's Lundin Petroleum reported Friday that an exploration well targeting the Salina structure in the Barents Sea has made a gas condensate discovery of up to 41 million barrels of oil equivalent.
Well 7220/10-1, located on the west flank of the Loppa High in the Barents Sea in license PL533, proved two gas columns in sandstone of Cretaceous and Jurassic age, Lundin said. Data acquisition in the well, including coring, wireline logging and fluid sampling, has proven good reservoir quality in the sandstone.
According to the Norwegian Petroleum Directorate (NPD), the first target in the Knurr formation was found to be a 125-foot gas-condensate column, while the secondary target in the Stø formation was found to be 177 feet deep. The NPD said that the preliminary estimate of the discovery is for between 29 and 41 million barrels of oil equivalent.
The well, which was drilled by the Scarabeo 8 (UDW semisub) rig, was spud in August and drilled to a vertical depth of 7,780 feet. Scarabeo 8 will now proceed to PL229, also in the Barents Sea, where it will begin drilling operations on the Goliat field.
Eni Norge is the operator of the PL533 license, with a 40-percent interest, while Lundin, RWE Dea and Det norske oljeselskap each hold 20 percent.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
Operates 12 Offshore Rigs
- Eni Looks To Strengthen Ties With Rosneft, Maybe In LNG (Oct 19)
- Eni Bets Big on Zohr Explorer Finding New Treasure (Oct 06)
- Eni Inks Cooperation Deal With China's CNPC (Sep 13)
Company: Lundin Petroleum AB more info
Operates 2 Offshore Rigs
- Lundin Board Proposes Malaysia, France, Netherlands Asset Spin Off (Feb 13)
- Swedish Oil Firm Lundin Sees Output More Than Doubling Next Decade (Feb 01)
- Lundin's Development Expenditure to Top $1B in 2017 (Jan 19)
Company: RWE-DEA more info
- Lundin Granted Drilling Permit in PL609 (Sep 10)
- Lundin Spuds Appraisal Well on Alta Discovery (Mar 25)
- Japan's JX, GDF Suez Find New Oil in UK North Sea (Mar 13)