BP Starts Up Devenick Gas Project
BP confirmed Thursday that it has successfully started up its $1 billion Devenick gas project in the central North Sea. Devenick is a high-pressure, high temperature (HPHT) gas condensate field.
The project is a subsea tie-back to Marathon Oil's East Brae platform. Production from the field is expected to peak in 2013 at 100 million cubic feet of gas per day.
UK Energy Minister John Hayes commented in a statement:
"As winter approaches, BP's announcement is very warmly welcome. When the Devenick project comes on full stream it will add an extra three percent to current UK gas production – enough to supply the equivalent of more than half a million homes a year."
"The majority of this project's GBP 650 million investment has benefited UK companies, and it is only because of the expertise of our world class subsea sector that this project is technically possible."
BP estimates that around $800 million of work was created for the UK supply chain by the project. The project provided work for oilfield services specialist Technip, among others.
BP holds an 88.7-percent interest in the project, with RWE Dea UK holding the remaining 11.3 percent.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
Operates 27 Offshore Rigs
- BP Chairman Svanberg to Retire; Search Starts for Successor (Oct 19)
- BP Midstream Partners Seeks To Raise Up To $893MM In IPO (Oct 16)
- BP, Azerbaijan's SOCAR To Sign Caspian Sea Exploration Deal In 2017 (Oct 12)
Company: RWE-DEA more info
- Lundin Granted Drilling Permit in PL609 (Sep 10)
- Lundin Spuds Appraisal Well on Alta Discovery (Mar 25)
- Japan's JX, GDF Suez Find New Oil in UK North Sea (Mar 13)
Company: Technip more info
- Sasol Plans More Hiring for Louisiana Project (Oct 12)
- Bapco To Meet Technip-Led Consortium For Talks On Refinery Expansion (Aug 22)
- Fluor Wins Malaysia Isononanol Plant Contract (Aug 07)