PdVSA to Take Over Rig for Drilling Off Cuban Coast
CARACAS - Venezuela's state oil company Petroleos de Venezuela SA, or PdVSA, will take over a rig for an exploration project off Cuba's west coast "in the upcoming days" after a Malaysian-Russian consortium was unable to make a commercial discovery using the rig at a separate site, a statement in Cuban state newspaper Granma said Monday.
The Venezuelan company will receive control of the Scarabeo 9 platform to begin exploration drilling in deep waters off Cuba's coast with the Gulf of Mexico, the state publication said.
A joint venture between a subsidiary of Malaysia's Petronas and Russia's Gazprom Neft, which was using the rig, said a geological survey found unearthed rocks "very compact and unable to deliver significant quantities of oil and gas," according to the same statement in Granma. That project concluded July 31.
Scarabeo 9 was the advanced oil platform vacated by Spain's Repsol SA in May after it too was unable to find oil in a separate drilling project.
Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez has maintained close ties with Cuba and often calls former Cuban leader Fidel Castro his personal mentor. Venezuela sends Cuba around 100,000 barrels of oil a day in exchange for around 30,000 Cuban doctors who service Venezuelan slums.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- Court Rejects PGniG's Attempt To Limit Gazprom's Use Of Opal Pipeline (Oct 13)
- Russia's Gazprom Signs LNG Supply Deal With Ghana (Sep 18)
- Gazprom Says Sanctions Won't Stop Nord Stream 2 Pipeline Project (Aug 30)
Company: PDVSA more info
Operates 15 Offshore Rigs
Manages 26 Offshore Rigs
- Venezuela's Deteriorating Oil Quality Riles Major Refiners (Oct 20)
- Venezuela Confirms Discussing Citgo Collateral Swap With Rosneft (Oct 04)
- Venezuelans Face Growing Queues To Buy Gasoline (Sep 21)
Company: PETRONAS more info
Operates 9 Offshore Rigs
- Exec: Petronas' Canadian Unit To Look At Other LNG Opportunities (Oct 11)
- Adviser: Malaysia's Petronas Puts Some Canadian Assets Up For Sale (Oct 04)
- Petronas Chem Sells Half Of Polymers Business To Saudi Aramco For $900MM (Oct 02)
Company: Repsol more info
- Exxon Mobil Bets on Brazil, Buys 10 Oil Blocks in Auction (Sep 28)
- Repsol Says Drilling Suspended On Vietnam Oil Block Disputed By China (Aug 02)
- China Urges Halt To Oil Drilling In Disputed South China Sea (Jul 25)