Cove Energy Takeover Battle Drags On As Shell Extends Offer
LONDON - The competition between Thai energy company PTT Exploration & Production PCL and Royal Dutch Shell PLC for ownership of oil and gas explorer Cove Energy PLC dragged on Thursday as the Anglo-Dutch company extended its offer until July 25.
Shell said 3.27% of Cove's investors had accepted its offer of 220 pence a share when its previous deadline expired Wednesday.
On Monday, PTT also extended the deadline on its offer to July 13, after receiving acceptances from just 0.25% of Cove's investors.
Although Shell has a greater proportion of declared investor support, Cove's board of directors has recommended the Thai energy company's higher bid of 240 pence a share.
Interest in Cove, a modestly-sized exploration company listed on London's junior exchange, has been fueled by the company's stake in one of the world's most promising new gas resource areas.
Cove's main asset, an 8.5% stake in a gas field off Mozambique's coast operated by Anadarko Petroleum Corp., would offer energy companies a speedy way to get a foothold in the region. Cove also has interests in Kenya and Tanzania.
The protracted battle between the two bidders could prompt the U.K. regulator, the Takeover Panel, to call for a sealed-bid auction for Cove, allowing would-be acquirers a final chance to raise their offers for the company, analysts at Investec said Wednesday.
Previous sealed-bid auctions have resulted in an average increase over the previous highest offer of between 4% and 18%, Investec said.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
Operates 27 Offshore Rigs
- API Panel Member: Voluntary Methane Program Forthcoming (Oct 06)
- Eni Bets Big on Zohr Explorer Finding New Treasure (Oct 06)
- Shell, Varo End Talks on Germany Refinery Stake Sale (Oct 06)
Company: PTT Exploration & Production Company Plc (PTTEP) more info
Operates 4 Offshore Rigs
- Thailand's PTTEP Delays Canadian Oil Sands Project At Cost Of $550MM (Oct 19)
- Thai PTTEP to Invest At Least $1.7B in 2017 to Maintain Output (Oct 03)
- PTTEPI, PC JDA Sign Add-on Deal to PSC for Block 17-01 in Gulf of Thailand (Sep 01)
Company: Cove Energy plc more info
- Aminex Appoints New Exploration Advisor (Apr 07)
- Ex-Cove Energy Team Launches Africa-focused Explorer (Mar 11)
- PTTEP Set to Raise $3B in Rights Offering; To Fund Cove Acquisition (Nov 30)