BHP Billiton Requests Extension at SC55
Otto Energy Ltd advised that BHP Billiton, as operator of Philippines Service Contract 55 (SC55), has requested that the Department of Energy (DOE) extend the current Exploration Sub-Phase 4 of SC55 by 18 months. If approved by the DOE, this would extend the current contractual deadline to complete drilling of the commitment well from August 5, 2012 to February 5, 2014.
BHP Billiton has requested this extension in order to secure an appropriate ultra deepwater rig with specialized well control equipment that will promote safe drilling operations on the proposed Cinco prospect. Availability of such rigs is currently limited and has been considered in the duration of the requested extension. The requested extension also is expected to provide time for post-well analysis prior to commitment to any subsequent Sub-Phase.
No specific date for commencement of drilling operations in SC55 can be given until a rig has been secured, however Otto maintains its longstanding view that SC55 holds significant hydrocarbon potential and the company looks forward to seeing the drilling program executed as soon as is safely possible. Further updates to shareholders will be provided as progress is made.
The working interests in Service Contract 55 are:
- Otto Energy (through wholly owned subsidiary NorAsian Energy Ltd) 33.18%
- BHP Billiton Petroleum (Philippines) Corporation 60.00%
- Trans-Asia Oil and Energy Development Corporation 6.82%
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Private Oil Made a Big Find in Mexico. Now State Oil Wants a Cut (Oct 04)
- BHP Gearing Up to Start Drilling for Oil in Mexico's Deep Waters (Oct 02)
- BHP To Quit US Shale Business As Annual Profit Surges (Aug 22)
Company: Otto Energy more info
- Philippines DOE Grants Moratorium on Palawan Basin's SC55 Work Program (Jun 17)
- Otto Launches Legal Action Against Swala Over Tanzania's Pangani License (May 13)
- Otto Energy Updates on Drilling at SM-71 #1 Discovery in the Gulf of Mexico (Apr 27)