BHP Billiton Bites into $708M Funding for Mad Dog Proj.
BHP Billiton announced approval for $708 million (BHP Billiton share) in precommitment funding for the Mad Dog Phase 2 project in the deepwater Gulf of Mexico. The funding will facilitate detailed engineering and the procurement of long lead time items related to the hull, topsides and subsea equipment.
The Mad Dog Phase 2 project is based on successful appraisal drilling which confirmed significant hydrocarbons in the southern portion of the Mad Dog field. The proposed project includes the development of a second spar facility with all subsea production and injection wells. The new facility is estimated to have a design capacity of approximately 130,000 barrels of oil per day that will be exported via the Mardi Gras Pipelines under existing agreements. A final investment decision is anticipated in calendar year 2013 with first production scheduled for calendar year 2018.
"Mad Dog Phase 2 will join our extensive Gulf of Mexico portfolio that includes Mad Dog and Atlantis as well as the Shenzi and Neptune platforms that we operate. The extension of this field will underpin continued valuable liquids production from the Gulf of Mexico and further enhance our growth profile," said BHP Billiton Petroleum Chief Executive Officer J. Michael Yeager.
Mad Dog is a partnership between BP (operator, 60.5 percent share), BHP Billiton (23.9 percent) and Chevron (15.6 percent).
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
Operates 2 Offshore Rigs
- Private Oil Made a Big Find in Mexico. Now State Oil Wants a Cut (Oct 04)
- BHP Gearing Up to Start Drilling for Oil in Mexico's Deep Waters (Oct 02)
- BHP To Quit US Shale Business As Annual Profit Surges (Aug 22)
Company: BP plc more info
Operates 28 Offshore Rigs
- BP Midstream Partners Seeks To Raise Up To $893MM In IPO (Oct 16)
- BP, Azerbaijan's SOCAR To Sign Caspian Sea Exploration Deal In 2017 (Oct 12)
- Increasing the World's Oil Reserves with Digitization (Oct 09)
Company: Chevron Corporation more info
- Canada's Keyera Signs Pact With Chevron To Transport, Store NGL (Oct 10)
- Chevron Starts LNG Output at Australia's Wheatstone (Oct 09)
- Petrofac Extends North Sea Contract with Chevron (Oct 05)