African Petroleum Picks Up Block Offshore W. Africa

African Petroleum Corporation Limited announced that its wholly owned subsidiary, African Petroleum Côte d'Ivoire Limited, has entered into an agreement with the Société Nationale d'Opérations Pétrolières de la Côte d'Ivoire (PETROCI) and the Republic of Côte d'Ivoire to acquire one offshore exploration permit covering block CI‐509 (Permit).

Key points:

  • African Petroleum Cote d'Ivoire entered into an agreement with PETROCI and the State of Cote d'Ivoire to acquire exploration rights in one offshore block: CI‐509. The Permit is situated in the Western Offshore area of Côte d'Ivoire, with a total surface area of 421.38 square miles (1,091.37 square kilometers).
  • African Petroleum Côte d'Ivoire will be the Operator with a 90 percent interest in the Permit. The remaining 10 percent is owned by PETROCI.
  • This is the Company's second award of a block, offshore Cote d'Ivoire. On December 19, 2011, African Petroleum was awarded the exploration rights over Block CI‐513.
  • African Petroleum Côte d'Ivoire's exploration program will target deep water Upper Cretaceous submarine fans in Cote d'Ivoire which are considered to have similar high impact potential as discoveries in the Jubilee field, Ghana, Narina‐1, Liberia, the Jupiter and Mercury discoveries, Sierra Leone.
  • A 3D seismic program over Blocks CI‐513 and CI‐509 is expected to commence in mid‐April 2012.

Frank Timis, Non‐Executive Chairman, commented, "African Petroleum is already one of the largest net exploration acreage holders in the West African transform margin focused on the newly emerging and highly successful Upper Cretaceous exploration fairway. Together with the earlier award of Block CI‐513, this award of CI‐509, underlines African Petroleum's commitment to building a high grade exploration portfolio in the proven oil basin of Côte d'Ivoire and accelerating exploration in the region. This additional block adds further to African Petroleum's strategy of building an extensive portfolio in proven Upper Cretaceous basins in Côte d'Ivoire, Sierra Leone and Liberia as well as building on our pre‐eminent position in the frontier Gambia/Senegal Western Margin."

African Petroleum has recently been awarded licences in Senegal over two blocks: Rufisque Offshore Profond and Senegal Offshore Sud Profond. The area covers 7,057 square miles (18,277 square kilometers). The Company holds 90 percent interest with its partner Petrosen holding the remaining 10 percent. A 3D seismic acquisition has now commenced on Senegal Offshore Sud Profond.

African Petroleum currently holds a 100 percent interest in blocks LB‐08 and LB‐09 offshore Liberia, where it has completed 1,969 square miles (5,100 square kilometers) of 3D seismic data and where a significant discovery was recently announced at our Narina‐1 Well in LB‐09.

African Petroleum holds a 100 percent interest in block SL‐03 offshore Sierra Leone where it has recently completed 3D seismic acquisition covering 965 square miles (2,500 square kilometers).

The Company also holds a 60 percent operating interest in blocks A1 and A4 offshore Gambia where it has completed 965 square miles (2,500 square kilometers) of 3D seismic. This is in conjunction with its partner Buried Hill Gambia BV.


Our Privacy Pledge

Most Popular Articles

From the Career Center
Jobs that may interest you
Project Manager, Oil and Gas
Expertise: Petroleum Engineering|Project Management
Location: West Chicago, IL
Business Development Manager
Expertise: Business Development|Construction Manager
Location: Portland, OR
Business Development Manager
Expertise: Business Development|Construction Manager
Location: Denver, CO
search for more jobs

Brent Crude Oil : $51.78/BBL 0.77%
Light Crude Oil : $50.85/BBL 0.83%
Natural Gas : $2.99/MMBtu 4.77%
Updated in last 24 hours