Total Takes Stake at Yemen License
Total has acquired from Oil Search a 40 percent interest in the Block 3 exploration license in Yemen, which it will operate. The license covers an area of 1,141 square miles (2,954 square kilometers) in the eastern section of the Marib Basin. The acquisition is subject to the approval of Yemen's Ministry of Oil and Mineral Resources.
Total's partners will be the Austrian OMV, the Czech MND and state-owned Yemen General Corporation for Oil and Gas (YGC). Once the transaction has been completed, the joint-venture will resume exploration with a seismic survey which could be followed by a drilling of an exploration well.
Arnaud Breuillac, Senior Vice-President Middle East, Exploration & Production Total, commented, "With this acquisition, Total is pursuing its strategy of expanding its exploration and production activities in Yemen, in high-potential geological basins that offer a close fit with existing projects."
- Total CEO: US Shale Oil Industry To See Wave Of Investment (Oct 18)
- Total's CEO Says Will Try To Move Ahead With Iran Gas Project (Oct 17)
- Total Expands Presence in Mexico (Oct 12)
Company: Oil Search Ltd. more info
- Papua New Guinea Government To Sell Stake In Oil Search (Sep 21)
- Oil Search Profit Soars, Focus On Advancing PNG Gas Projects (Aug 22)
- Oil Search Q3 Revenue Beats Forecasts (Oct 18)