Statoil, Exxon Make Large Gas Discovery Offshore Tanzania
Statoil and ExxonMobil have confirmed they made a large gas discovery in the Zafarani prospect offshore Tanzania in Block 2.
Earlier this month, the company reported that Zafarani-1 had encountered gas shows in a good-quality reservoir. Statoil spudded the well in early January 2012 with the Ocean Rig Poseidon (UDW drillship).
Logging results reveal that it is a high-impact discovery, far proving that the well holds up to 5 Tcf of gas-in-place. Zafarani-1 has encountered 393 feet (120 meters) of excellent quality reservoir with high porosity and high permeability, reported the operator. The gas-water contact has not been established and drilling operations will continue until total depth is reached.
"This discovery is the first Statoil-operated discovery in East Africa and an important event for the future development of the Tanzanian gas industry. It is also a demonstration of how Statoil's exploration strategy of early access and high impact opportunities strongly supports the company's ambition for international growth," said Executive Vice President for Exploration Tim Dodson in a statement Friday.
"This discovery could potentially be a catalyst for large scale natural gas developments in Tanzania," added Tanzania Petroleum Development Corporation Managing Director Yona Killaghane.
The International Monetary Fund recently stated in a country report, "Tanzania's prospects of becoming a major producer of natural gas by the end of the decade appear good. There could be large foreign direct investment inflows over the next five years, and a substantial increase in exports and government revenue beginning around 2020."
So far, roughly 26 licenses have been awarded in the country, making it the highest number in the East Africa region.
Zafarani is the first exploration well that has been drilled in the license, which covers approximately 2,120 square miles (5,500 square kilometers). The water depth at the well location is 8,470 feet (2,582 meters). The well will be drilled to reach an expected total depth of around 16,730 feet (5,100 meters).
Statoil operates the license on Block 2 on behalf of TPDC and has a 65% working interest while ExxonMobil Exploration and Production Tanzania holds the remaining 35%. In the case of a development phase, TPDC has the right to a 10 percent working interest.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
Operates 13 Offshore Rigs
- ExxonMobil Says Julia, Hadrian South Operations Back To Normal After Nate (Oct 10)
- Iraq's Talks with Exxon on Southern Oilfields in Final Stages-Minister (Oct 09)
- U.S. Gulf Oil Producers Start Evacuating Staff Ahead of Tropical Storm Nate (Oct 05)
Company: Statoil more info
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Statoil Takes First Bite Of Solar Market With Brazilian Joint Venture (Oct 04)
- Statoil Charters Last of Largest Oil Tankers to Hold Crude for Asia Buyers (Sep 28)
- Statoil And Partners Plan Output Capacity Expansion At Troll Gas Field (Sep 26)