ABB Wins Subsea Contract for Aker Solutions
ABB has won an order worth about $36 million from oil services company Aker Solutions to provide drives and transformers to their subsea power distribution system for the Asgard subsea oil and gas field operated by Norway's Statoil. The order was booked in the third quarter.
ABB's equipment will ensure reliable power, as well as optimized motor speed and control, for the world's first subsea gas compression system from onboard the Asgard A floating vessel off the northern coast of Norway. The electrical system will be able to transmit 15 megavolt-amperes and 189 hertz, enough to power over 10,000 homes, over a distance of 43 kilometers. Once completed, this will be a world record distance as well as the highest voltage and frequency achieved between a drive on a floating production facility and a compressor on the seabed.
"The distance and voltage requirement of this operation make it a milestone project for the oil and gas industry," said Veli-Matti Reinikkala, head of ABB's Process Automation division. "ABB continues to build on its experience as the global leader in subsea electrification; our technology, project experience and engineering resources were crucial to winning this important order."
ABB drives and subsea transformer contribute to extend the productivity, profitability and lifespan of existing offshore oil and gas fields. As extraction gets further away from processing operations, the ability to provide reliable power becomes more challenging.
ABB has already worked with Aker Solutions on a similar project, to power a subsea water injection system in Statoil's Tyrihans field, 31 km from the surface operating platform.
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Statoil Takes First Bite Of Solar Market With Brazilian Joint Venture (Oct 04)
- Statoil Charters Last of Largest Oil Tankers to Hold Crude for Asia Buyers (Sep 28)
- Statoil And Partners Plan Output Capacity Expansion At Troll Gas Field (Sep 26)
Company: ABB more info
- Oil Industry Teams Up to Fight Cyber-Crime (Sep 29)
- Aker Solutions, ABB Team Up To Develop Subsea Production (Apr 27)
- ABB Wins NOK 1.1B Statoil Power Contract (Mar 16)
Company: Aker Solutions more info
- Aker Completes More Than Two-Thirds of Cost-Cutting Program (May 09)
- Aker Solutions Reduces Total Headcount by Almost 5,000 Since 2014 (Mar 30)
- Aker Solutions Secures Johan Sverdrup Phase 2 FEED Contract (Mar 21)