Brazil's Petrobras May Buy BG Stake in Presalt Area -Report
SAO PAULO (Dow Jones Newswires), Oct. 14, 2011
Petrobras plans to buy a stake held by BG Group in Brazil's offshore presalt reserve, Brazilian business daily Brasil Economico reported Friday.
Recently, international press reports indicated that BG Group was negotiating with China Petroleum & Chemical Corp., or Sinopec, to sell a portion of its stake in Brazilian oil blocks BMS-9, BMS-10 and BMS-11. Petrobras has offered to buy the BG stake in order to contain the advance of Chinese interests in the area, the newspaper reported.
"All hypotheses are possible," Petrobras President Jose Sergio Gabrielli told the newspaper. "Where we have a farm-out right, we will exercise it." So-called farm-out rights give companies a preferential right to buy oil-block stakes from other companies.
Gabrielli noted that Petrobras was not informed by BG Group of that company's intention to sell a portion of its stakes in Brazil.
"We don't know about their intentions; however, everything that is in the presalt area is interesting for us," Gabrielli said.
Petrobras press officials were not immediately available for comment.
Copyright (c) 2011 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.
Operates 35 Offshore Rigs
Manages 12 Offshore Rigs
- Brazil Regulator Allows Petrobras To Source Libra Rig Hull From Abroad (Oct 04)
- Exxon's Big Bet on Brazil Oil Could Signal Major Pre-salt Role (Sep 29)
- Exxon Mobil Bets on Brazil, Buys 10 Oil Blocks in Auction (Sep 28)
Company: BG Group more info
- Shell Mulls LNG-Hub Network as Use by Ships and Trucks Expands (Jul 11)
- Tanzania Laws Would Allow Govt to Tear Up Mining, Energy Deals (Jun 29)
- Despite Cuts, Big Oil to Expand Production into the 2020s (Sep 05)