Statoil, Partners Make Discovery in North Sea
Statoil and partners have made a small oil discovery in the Aldous Major North prospect, in the Norwegian sector of the North Sea.
The operator drilled the well to appraise the size of the Aldous Major North propsect, which, combined with the Aldous Major South and Avaldsnes discoveries, the company believes may hold between 500 MM and 1.2 B of recoverable barrels of oil equivalent.
Samples taken from well 16/2-9S found a column of oil of up to 26 feet (eight meters) in formations dating from the Upper Jurassic period. Statoil said that due to the poor reservoir quality, the partnership will consider further exploratory drilling on Aldous Major North in order to clarify the structure’s potential.
Drilled by the Transocean Leader semisub, well 16/2-9S lies about 7 miles (12 kilometers) north of the Aldous Major South oil discovery. Aldous Major North and Aldous Major South are two separate structures in the PL 265 license.
Following completion of well 16/2-9S on the Aldous Major North prospect, Transocean Leader will return to Aldous Major South to drill appraisal well 16/2-10. Statoil operates the license with a 40% interest; Petoro with 30%; Det norske with 20%; and Lundin Petroleum with 10%.SubseaIQ provides focused, in-depth coverage of offshore field development activities around the world, with daily updates on hundreds of offshore fields and facilities. Click here to sign up for the free weekly email newsletter.
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Partners to Invest in New Gas Module at Troll C Platform (Nov 07)
- Statoil Takes First Bite Of Solar Market With Brazilian Joint Venture (Oct 04)
- Statoil Charters Last of Largest Oil Tankers to Hold Crude for Asia Buyers (Sep 28)
Company: Lundin Petroleum AB more info
Operates 2 Offshore Rigs
- Lundin Board Proposes Malaysia, France, Netherlands Asset Spin Off (Feb 13)
- Swedish Oil Firm Lundin Sees Output More Than Doubling Next Decade (Feb 01)
- Lundin's Development Expenditure to Top $1B in 2017 (Jan 19)
Company: Petoro more info
- Aker Solutions Secures Johan Sverdrup Phase 2 FEED Contract (Mar 21)
- NPD Grants Consent for the Expansion of Nyhamna Gas Plant (Feb 10)
- Statoil Granted North Sea Drilling Permit by NPD (Dec 21)
Company: Det norske oljeselskap ASA more info
- Det Norske Completes Merger with BP Norge, Creates Aker BP (Sep 30)
- Lundin Granted Drilling Permit Offshore Norway (Sep 20)
- Det Norske Increases Production Guidance for 2016 (Sep 14)