Petrobras Acquires Blocks Offshore Gabon
Petrobras, has acquired, by means of its wholly-owned subsidiary Petrobras Participaciones S.L. – PPSL, 50 percent of the stakes in the Ntsina Marin and Mbeli Marin Blocks, located in the Coastal Basin of Gabon, offshore the Gabonese Republic, on the Western Coast of Africa. The region has geological structures that are considered comparable to the areas developed in Brazil.
The blocks were purchased from Ophir Energy, which is headquartered in the UK and will keep the remaining 50 percent of the interests. The deal was completed today and is pending final approval by the Government of Gabon.
The region the two blocks are in covers an area of 6,683 square kilometers, in water depths ranging from shallow to up to 2,400 meters. Petrobras commits to carry out a minimum program, which includes 2,000 square kilometers of 3D seismics until March 2012.
After this stage, Petrobras has the right to assess whether or not it will remain in the next phase of the exploration program, which includes drilling wells.
Operates 35 Offshore Rigs
Manages 12 Offshore Rigs
- Brazil Regulator Allows Petrobras To Source Libra Rig Hull From Abroad (Oct 04)
- Exxon's Big Bet on Brazil Oil Could Signal Major Pre-salt Role (Sep 29)
- Exxon Mobil Bets on Brazil, Buys 10 Oil Blocks in Auction (Sep 28)
Company: Ophir Energy more info
- Ophir Energy Cuts Cost; Eliminates Staff (Jul 12)
- Tanzania Laws Would Allow Govt to Tear Up Mining, Energy Deals (Jun 29)
- Ophir to Borrow $1.2B from Chinese Banks for Fortuna Floating LNG (May 08)