Drilling Commenced at AWE's Arrowsmith Well
AWE reported that the Arrowsmith-2 exploration well, located in Exploration Permit 413 (EP- 413) commenced drilling at 0830 hours (Western Standard Time) on May 29, 2011. At 0600 hours (WST) the well was drilling ahead at a measured depth of 580 meters.
The Arrowsmith-2 well is designed to test the unconventional gas potential of the Carynginia Formation, Irwin River Coal Measures and Kockatea Shale and will be drilled to a proposed total depth of approximately 3,420 meters.
The well is located approximately 25 kilometers from the Woodada Deep-1 well (deepened by AWE in April 2010 to acquire cores over the Carynginia Shale interval), and approximately 500 meters south east of the Arrowsmith-1 well, which tested gas from the Carynginia Formation.
During drilling, the joint venture is planning to cut conventional cores from the middle Carynginia Shale and Irwin River Coal Measures. On completion of drilling, the well will be suspended for future fracture stimulation and testing which is planned for later in the year.
The participants in EP 413 are:
- AWE Limited (via subsidiaries) 44.252%
- Norwest Energy NL (Operator) 27.945%
- Bharat PetroResources Ltd 27.803%
- Waitsia Gas Project Exceeds Pre-Production Expectations (Dec 22)
- Waitsia JV Approves 2017 Development Activities Budget (Dec 09)
- AWE Commences Gas Sales from Stage 1 of Waitsia Gas Project in Perth Basin (Aug 29)