Petrobras Predicts $73B in Plansal Spending

Petrobras on Monday presented the annual review of the Integrated Development Master Plan for the Santos Basin Pre-Salt Area (Plansal) to the Board of Directors. The Master Plan is reviewed annually, incorporating information from newly drilled wells and from the implementation of different commercial strategies.

Plansal's current review strengthens the trend of reducing the investments necessary to develop the area, today estimated at 45% with regard to the original Master Plan of 2008 and around 32% with regard to last year's Master Plan, which is the result of the optimization achieved in the conception of the production projects, mainly due to higher well productivity (average increase of around 20%) and better understanding of the areas with production potential. Additionally, the expectation of the recoverable volume potential for the Lula and Cernambi areas was extended beyond 8 billion barrels. There was also a significant increase considering the 5 billion barrels of recoverable oil equivalent (broe) recently acquired in the Transfer of Rights, which will enable Petrobras to take advantage of great synergies with projects which are under development.

The current vision allows Petrobras to predict that the total investments to develop the projects present in the Santos Basin Pre-salt Area, through 2015, will reach 73 billion dollars, of which 74% will be carried out directly by Petrobras. These investments will lead to significant pre-salt production increases and will create the basis for the production increase in the post-2015 period. As a result of this great company effort, the company expects the contribution of the areas, operated by Petrobras, in terms of total production, to reach 613 thousand barrels of oil per day in 2015, an increase of 108 thousand barrels per day with regard to the previous plan. Of this total, around 60% belongs to Petrobras and the remaining 40% belongs to non-partners. In 2017, the previously disclosed production target of 1 million barrels of oil per day will be surpassed.

Another highlight of Plansal was Petrobras's high performance capacity. Many of the initiatives established in the first Master Plan, in 2008, have already become reality in 2011, with highlight to the start of operations of:

  • two FPSOs (BW Sao Vicente and Dynamic Producer) to perform Long-Duration Tests (LDTs) programd for the area;
  • a higher number of drilling rigs (8 are currently in operation and another 5 will begin activities in the next 3 months);
  • the first definitive production system, installed in Lula field (FPSO Cidade Angra dos Reis);
  • the gas pipeline between Lula Pilot and the Mexilhao platform (200 km of submarine pipelines in ultra-deep waters);
  • the gas pipeline between Caraguatatuba and Taubate (Gastau).


Besides the events above, also representative are the start of construction of eight FPSOs at the Rio Grande Shipyard, the contracting for the construction of up to 28 drilling rigs in Brazil, the first batch of seven rigs of which has already been defined and the development of studies for a Gas FSO, designed to provide a new alternative for the flow through its liquefaction in the open sea. With regard to the development of the Transfer of Rights areas, the Inhama Shipyard is already being fitted out for the construction of the first four units, to be installed by 2016.

The need to implement alternative routes for the flow of oil and gas of the Santos Basin Pre-salt Area, based on the forecast of the huge production volumes, was identified. These alternatives, which are in an advanced stage of maturation, will allow an adequate logistics network to take on the future forecast of the area's production.


Our Privacy Pledge

Most Popular Articles

From the Career Center
Jobs that may interest you
United States Odessa: Sr Field Engineer - Directional Drilling
Expertise: Directional Driller|Drilling Engineering
Location: Odessa, TX
United States Houston: Lead Applications Analyst/Developer
Expertise: Budget / Cost Control
Location: Houston, TX
Project Manager, Oil and Gas
Expertise: Petroleum Engineering|Project Management
Location: West Chicago, IL
search for more jobs

Brent Crude Oil : $51.78/BBL 0.77%
Light Crude Oil : $50.85/BBL 0.83%
Natural Gas : $2.99/MMBtu 4.77%
Updated in last 24 hours