Desire Drills Duster at Ninky Well

Desire Petroleum has drilled a duster in its Ninky prospect in the North Falkland basin, off the Falkland Islands.

Well 14/15-3 reached a total depth of 8,596 feet (2,620 meters) in the Barremian source rock interval, encountering two sand-prone sections in the Upper and Middle F2 intervals, but failed to hit pay.

The company stated the reservoir quality is generally poor having only 18 feet (5.6 meters) of net reservoir with an average porosity of 13%, but log analysis indicates a 4 feet (1.2 meter) interval at the top of the Middle F2 zone was oil bearing. Wireline formation pressure measurements were attempted, but no valid pressures were obtained, indicating that the reservoirs are low permeability at this location. As a result, Desire did not attempt wireline sampling.

Desire believes better reservoir quality may be expected downdip and seismic data has indicated there are further sands along strike on the Ninky structural high, which were not penetrated in the 14/15-3 well. The well will now be plugged and abandoned and the Ocean Guardian semisub will return to Rockhopper. Desire Petroleum has a 92.5% operating interest in the prospect and Rockhopper Exploration has the other 7.5% interest. 

continue reading the full article

For More Information on the Offshore Rig Fleet:
RigLogix can provide the information that you need about the offshore rig fleet, whether you need utilization and industry trends or detailed reports on future rig contracts. Subscribing to RigLogix will allow you to access dozens of prebuilt reports and build your own custom reports using hundreds of available data columns. For more information about a RigLogix subscription, visit

Our Privacy Pledge

Most Popular Articles

From the Career Center
Jobs that may interest you
Field Maintenance Controls Technician
Expertise: Maintenance Technician|Rig Mechanic
Location: Eighty Four, PA
Maintenance Supervisor - Drilling
Expertise: Maintenance Manager|Rig Mechanic
Location: Eighty Four, PA
Whipstock Welder
Expertise: Rig Welder|Welding|Workshop
Location: Lafayette, LA
search for more jobs

Brent Crude Oil : $51.78/BBL 0.77%
Light Crude Oil : $50.85/BBL 0.83%
Natural Gas : $2.99/MMBtu 4.77%
Updated in last 24 hours