Total and Suncor Form Oil Sands Alliance


French oil company Total SA (TOT) said Friday it would form a strategic oil sands alliance with Canada's Suncor Energy Inc. (SU) by sharing ownership in three projects in Canada's western Alberta region.

The companies are to hold joint stakes in the Suncor-operated Fort Hills mining project, the Total-operated Joslyn mining project and the Suncor-operated Voyageur project.

"Under the alliance, the companies will pool their combined interests in these projects, with the respective operator holding 51% and the other partner 49%," Total said in a statement.

Under the deal, subject to approval from regulators, Total is to pay Suncor C$1.75 billion.

"This collaboration will allow us to strengthen our portfolio of Canadian oil sands assets, opening new opportunities to develop this strategically important energy resource," Total Exploration & Production President Yves-Louis Darricarrere said in a statement.

Suncor and Total also agreed to develop Fort Hills and Voyageur in parallel so that both come on stream in early 2016.

Construction of Voyageur was suspended in 2008 but will be resumed after a redesign and will have a capacity of about 200,000 barrels a day of upgraded products. It will process Totals Fort Hills and Joslyn bitumen production.

The companies aim to bring Joslyn North Mine on line with production of 100,000 B/D in 2017-18.

In a separate announcement, Total said it had agreed to take an additional 7.5% in Australia's Gladstone LNG project from Santos for $281.25 million. The purchase increases Total's stake in the project to 27.5%.


Our Privacy Pledge

Most Popular Articles

From the Career Center
Jobs that may interest you
Staff Process Engineer
Expertise: Process Engineer
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Facility Engineer
Expertise: Facilities Engineer
Location: North Dakota, ND
Process Safety Engineer
Expertise: Chemical Engineering|Process Engineer|Safety Engineering
Location: Pasadena, CA
search for more jobs

Brent Crude Oil : $50.47/BBL 0.98%
Light Crude Oil : $49.72/BBL 1.09%
Natural Gas : $2.76/MMBtu 1.09%
Updated in last 24 hours