Desire Discovers Oil at Rachel North

Desire has advised that the 14/15-2 Rachel North well has reached a total depth of 10,013 feet (3,052 meters), and that preliminary data indicates that the well is an oil discovery. The well was drilled using the semi-submersible Ocean Guardian.

The company has run an initial suite of wireline logs and this together with the drilling data indicates that the well encountered a 1,145 feet (349 meter) gross interval from 8,599 to 9,744 feet (2,621 meters to 2,970 meters) of sands and shales with hydrocarbons of which 187 feet (57 meters) is net pay in multiple zones.

The thickest zone is 26 feet (8 meters) thick with an average porosity of 20%. Other zones are thinly bedded and lower porosity but require further analysis from additional wireline logs to establish reservoir potential. Further data will be collected to obtain more information on the reservoir quality, the hydrocarbon saturations and the fluid type to assess the significance of this discovery, stated Desire.

The Rachel prospect is located in Tranche D, and is operated by Desire Petroleum, holding a 92.5% interest; Rockhopper Exploration holds the remaining 7.5% interest.

continue reading the full article

SubseaIQ provides focused, in-depth coverage of offshore field development activities around the world, with daily updates on hundreds of offshore fields and facilities. Click here to sign up for the free weekly email newsletter.
For More Information on the Offshore Rig Fleet:
RigLogix can provide the information that you need about the offshore rig fleet, whether you need utilization and industry trends or detailed reports on future rig contracts. Subscribing to RigLogix will allow you to access dozens of prebuilt reports and build your own custom reports using hundreds of available data columns. For more information about a RigLogix subscription, visit