Petrobras Strikes Oil in Sergipe-Alagoas Basin

Ocean Courage
(Click to Enlarge)

Petrobras has identified hydrocarbons in well 1-BRSA-851-SES (1-SES-158) on the Barra prospect, located in the ultra-deep Sergipe-Alagoas Basin waters in the BM-Seal-11 concession. This new oil province in the Sergipe-Alagos Basin confirms the existence of large accumulations in the distal portions of the basin, implying there are greater volumes than those found in shallower waters. The identified hydrocarbons are also similar to those bearing oil in the deep Campos Basin waters, stated Petrobras. Well 1-SES-158 tested deposits in an accumulation developed in an area of about 17,297 acres (70 square kilometers), and the nearest field, Piranema is about 56 miles (90 kilometers) away. Drilling continues by the Ocean Courage semisub to sample older and deeper reservoirs. Petrobras operates the concession, holding a 60% interest; IBV-Brasil holds the remaining 40%.

continue reading the full article

For More Information on the Offshore Rig Fleet:
RigLogix can provide the information that you need about the offshore rig fleet, whether you need utilization and industry trends or detailed reports on future rig contracts. Subscribing to RigLogix will allow you to access dozens of prebuilt reports and build your own custom reports using hundreds of available data columns. For more information about a RigLogix subscription, visit

Our Privacy Pledge

Most Popular Articles

From the Career Center
Jobs that may interest you
Land GIS Spatial Analyst - Mineral Land
Expertise: Contracts Engineer|Geologist|Lease Analyst
Location: Denver, CO
Sr Petrophysicist - Delaware Basin Technology
Expertise: Petrophysicist
Location: Midland, TX
DRC Analyst I
Expertise: Engineering Technician|Geoscience Technician|Laboratory Ops / Tech
Location: Houston, TX
search for more jobs

Brent Crude Oil : $48.06/BBL 2.51%
Light Crude Oil : $45.77/BBL 2.17%
Natural Gas : $2.97/MMBtu 2.30%
Updated in last 24 hours