Desire Drills Duster in North Falkland Basin

North Falkland Basin
(Click to Enlarge)

The 14/15-1 well on the Rachel prospect has reached a total depth of 9,439 feet (2,877 meters) using semisub Ocean Guardian. Initial wireline logging analysis shows that hydrocarbons aren't present, but thick sandstones were encountered in the upper part of the targeted zone. This zone compromises 338 feet (103 meters) of gross sandstone of which 268 feet (81 meters) is net reservoir with an average porosity of 23%. Desire stated that the Rachel prospect has provided new valuable data on the distribution of the reservoir targets within the Eastern Flank play and in particular, the calibration of the 3D seismic data for sandstone prediction. Based on the latest data, potential sandstones have been identified downdip from the existing location, closer to the mature oil source rock, significantly reducing the oil charge risk. The well will now be sidetracked to this location to evaluate the prospectivity. Sidetrack drilling will commence when logging operations are completed. The total depth of the sidetrack well is planned to be 11,214 feet (3,418 meters) with an offset of .7 of a mile (1.2 kilometers) from the total depth of the original vertical well. The sidetrack will be designated 14/15-1Z and should take about 20 days to complete. Desire Petroleum, holding a 92.5% interest, operates the prospect; Rockhopper Exploration holds the remaining 7.5% interest.

continue reading the full article

For More Information on the Offshore Rig Fleet:
RigLogix can provide the information that you need about the offshore rig fleet, whether you need utilization and industry trends or detailed reports on future rig contracts. Subscribing to RigLogix will allow you to access dozens of prebuilt reports and build your own custom reports using hundreds of available data columns. For more information about a RigLogix subscription, visit

Our Privacy Pledge

Most Popular Articles

From the Career Center
Jobs that may interest you
Expertise: Drilling Superintendent
Location: Oklahoma, United States, OK
Field Service Technician - Warrior
Expertise: Maintenance Technician|Rig Mechanic
Location: Springtown, TX
United States Houston: Field Engineer II - Directional Drilling
Expertise: Directional Driller
Location: Houston, TX
search for more jobs

Brent Crude Oil : $52.67/BBL 1.91%
Light Crude Oil : $51.6/BBL 2.60%
Natural Gas : $3.17/MMBtu 2.76%
Updated in last 24 hours