This position is primarily responsible for the management of engineering personnel conducting research and development activities across various Owen Oil Tools product lines. Works independently and within a team across departments to assist with problem solving while maintaining customer focus. Completes assignments and projects of increasingly larger scope requiring knowledge of concepts, methods, and application of engineering principles and maintaining a high level of integrity and safety awareness. Ongoing training includes development of new engineering skills related to procedures and methods in the design, manufacturing, testing and operation of oilfield explosives and mechanical hardware as well as deployment of perforating systems.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Expected to apply creativity and innovation to the research and development of new products from conception through production.
- Product development activities include conceptual development of new and improved products as directed by engineering management in response to customer and industry requirements.
- Perform engineering calculations and thorough analysis of components and systems per approved engineering standards.
- Responsible to create testing procedures and test requests. May include direct involvement with testing programs and related personnel.
- Guide and assist interdepartmental support which may include technical problem solving within the manufacturing, quality, and safety departments. Investigate product non conformances and engineering change requests and implement changes if necessary.
- Advise and assist customers on a technical level during development, production, and operation of customer specific tools and/or applications.
- Perform minimal drafting duties (or may request/assign drafting duties) in preparation of new or revised drawings, artwork, and updating and archiving of engineering documents. Preparing layouts and drawings according to engineering specifications.
- All duties and functions to be performed within time parameters as set by departmental and project requirements. A professional attitude should be prevalent representing an eagerness to learn and strong customer awareness.
- Demonstrate and possess broad application and knowledge of products, materials, processes, procedures, and industry practices to provide an increased technical level of manufacturing, internal, and external support. Responsible to direct the development of product lines and provide guidance to other members of the engineering department. Little to no supervision and training is required to fulfill job responsibilities. Additional responsibilities may include training and development of employees, processes, and procedures.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor of Science / Engineering degree plus relevant experience (prefer 7 years related experience) OR Graduate level Science / Engineering degree plus relevant experience (prefer 5 years related experience).
- Candidate must meet eligibility requirements for registration as a Professional Engineer (as specified by the local, state, or provincial Board of Professional Engineers). Completion of various design and drafting courses including experience and/or training in the use of computer aided design software and engineering analysis software. Experience and/or training with Microsoft Office, SolidWorks, and Cosmos preferred.
Ability to read and comprehend complex instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write correspondence and technical documentation. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to other employees of the organization. Ability to conduct presentations to intra-company, customers and management.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
Valid driver's license and a good driving record.
The employee will have a daily involvement in the assembly and testing of tools. Reasonable physical strength and aptitude is required to lift tool assemblies and test
equipment including concrete targets and perforating guns. Further strength and aptitude is required to use a variety of power and hand tools. The operation of equipment is essential to job including powered industrial trucks and explosive assembly equipment (training will be provided). Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The employee will be mainly in an office environment with regular exposure to manufacturing and testing facilities containing presses, lathes, mills, etc. The employee will have daily exposure to explosive materials, various metals and chemicals used in the manufacture of oilfield explosive products. There may be occasional exposure to various weather conditions (in the case of field or outdoor testing).
The job description here is representative of one that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.