Patterson-UTI Drilling Company LLC
Updated: Jan 8 2013
||Derrickman, Floors, Motors
||Towanda, PA, US
Closed - No longer accepting applications
Job Title Derrickhand
Location Towanda, PA, US
Organization Name Rig Employees Eighty Four
PattersonUTI Drilling Company LLC, through its substantial fleet of landbased drilling rigs, provides comprehensive drilling solutions to major and independent oil and gas companies.
The Derrickhand is responsible for the mud systems. This includes measuring mud weight and viscosity, mixing chemicals, and maintaining mud pumps, shakers, and tanks. Other responsibilities include steadying pipe during connections/disconnections and guiding pipe into and out of elevators.
Key relevant tasks performed by a Derrickhand include the following:
- Frequently measure mud weight and viscosity using a scale and timer
- Regularly maintain and inspect mud systems (mud levels, pumps, shakers, and tanks)
- Regularly check rig and equipment for problems and safety issues on an ongoing basis
- Quickly follow instructions from Mud Engineer and Driller to ensure operational mud systems
- Handle and mix hazardous chemicals into the mud as directed by Mud Engineer, while using Personal Protective Equipment
- Prepare stands and steady and guide pipe into and out of elevators during drilling activities
- Ensure correct mud pit valves are open / closed
- Monitor Floorhands who are assisting in the pits or with chemical sacks
- General upkeep and housekeeping of mud pit area
- Assist with rig up / down procedures
- Support other crew members as needed, ensure compliance with safety procedures, and other additional tasks as assigned
To qualify for a Derrickhand position, an individual must be willing and able to safely perform the following activities:
- Stand or stand and walk for a minimum of 3.5 hours and up to 12 hours without being able to sit and while wearing steeltoed boots
- Frequently climb steep stairs
- Frequently climb ladders and work while wearing a harness on an elevated platform
- Lift and carry 50 pounds independently while walking on uneven surfaces
- Bend, stoop, kneel, twist, and crawl throughout the tour work shift
- Independently use heavyduty handheld and longhandled tools
- Clear vision to judge near and far distances to maintain awareness of surroundings, work with moving pipe, watch and report ongoing work activities to coworkers and third parties
- Utilize proper hand signals when working on the board to communicate with others
- Accurate recall over short and longterm memory
- Maintain spatial orientation and awareness to safely move around work environment with many moving objects
- Stay alert and focused up to12.5 hours while performing repetitive and routine activities
- Work independently while staying on task for the majority of the tour work shift
- Demonstrate clear communication skills and ability to promptly follow directions
- Take initiative and work independently during downtime
- Wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) at all designated times
Education Requirements and Knowledge
The Derrickhand job requires a high school diploma, certificate or equivalent. A Derrickhand must be able to do the duties of a Floorhand as they may need to fill in for a Floorhand on occasion.
This position requires the person to work outdoors for an entire tour work shift in all types of weather conditions, including precipitation, cold / heat, high wind, and turbulent conditions. They will be exposed to the typical conditions of the local area where the rig is located. The Derrickhand must work with an emphasis on safety for themselves and others including coworkers and third parties. They must be able to work closely with others as they will work together in the confined area of the drilling rig and may choose to live together in crew quarters. They must be willing to work a hitch, which consists of 7 days on / 7 days off, or 14 days on / 14 days off, working 12.5 hour shifts that can include days or nights and as well as weekends and holidays.
This Position Is Closed to New Applicants
This position is no longer open for new applications. Either the position has expired or was removed because it was filled.
However, there are thousands of other great jobs to be found on Rigzone.
Similar Jobs Currently Available