A global energy leader with an exciting future
Nexen Inc. is an upstream oil and gas company responsibly developing energy resources in some of the world's most significant basins, including the UK North Sea, offshore West Africa, the Gulf of Mexico and Western Canada. We're strategically focused on three businesses: conventional oil and gas, oil sands, and shale gas.
Nexen is big enough to provide you with boundless career opportunities, and small enough so you get recognized for your work. Our high standards of integrity and governance have earned us a global reputation for valuing the big picture: people, safety and the environment. Your contributions are rewarded with a highly competitive compensation package and a healthy work-life balance, and training that will open doors to your future.
Why work for Nexen in the Oil Sands?
Because you value innovation and seek opportunity.
Nexen's Long Lake SAGD facility is at the cutting edge of Canada's dynamic oil sands industry. Tap into your spirit of adventure - join us as we put innovative ideas to work to get the most energy out of every barrel. We've assembled a great team of people who enjoy working together and supporting each other. Our employees are also very active as volunteers in the community, and we support their efforts. Your contributions are rewarded with a highly competitive compensation package, a healthy work-life balance, and training that will open doors to your future.
This is a Fort McMurray based position; therefore relocation is required. We offer highly competitive housing/rental assistance programs to all successful candidates.
Reporting to the Engineering Supervisor, the individual will act as an "internal staff specialist" for the Mechanical Engineering discipline and be accountable for all decisions and activities pertaining to stationary equipment and piping.
- Lead member of the Technical Services Team, accountable for providing "expert level" advice, direction, and support for all parties involved with the ongoing operation, maintenance, and expansion(s) of the Long Lake Upgrader SAGD plant site;
- Will mentor junior engineers and provide advice and direction to Operations, Maintenance, Engineering, and Project personnel as required;
- Will demonstrate "non-authoritative leadership" (NAL) with a wide range of personnel across the entire operation/project and at all required organizational levels;
- Establish productive working relationships with Vendors/Suppliers, Contractors, and Consultants providing resources and services to the operation/project, and with personnel in other operating plants;
- Provide specialized day-to-day and long-range engineering services with a focus on safety, reliability, and cost reduction;
- Monitor system/equipment conditions and performance, and provide troubleshooting and enhancements as required;
- Within own specialized sphere, direct research into new solutions, processes, or methods;
- Develop detailed project scope, cost estimates, and benefits to justify capital projects and secure funding;
- Implement and manage project budgets and schedules;
- Serve as the technical expert in the fields of equipment/piping inspection, modification, repair, fitness-for-service assessment, operation envelope, and provide mentorship and guidance to less experienced engineers and specialists;
- Oversee and ensure that contractors meet quality, cost, and schedule targets;
- Support turn-around planning and execution;
- Drive the continuous improvement of equipment reliability and costs through elective equipment care plans and root cause failure analysis;
- Provide approval for deviations from the regulated design and construction standards and requirements;
- Develop/revise company engineering standards, specifications, and work procedures, and provide input to future phase design.
- P.Eng. status and/or eligibility in Alberta;
- Minimum of 15 years of experience in maintaining and troubleshooting piping, exchangers, vessels, and other stationary equipment;
- 10 or more years of experience in a maintenance or plant engineering role in an operating upgrader, oil refinery, or similar hydrocarbon industry; other industrial site experience will be considered;
- Thorough understanding and practical application of the damage mechanisms affecting fixed equipment and fitness-for-service engineering assessments: experience with materials engineering and rotating equipment would be a definite asset;
- Experience and equipment knowledge of the following processes: Bitumen production; Crude distillation; Hydrotreating/Hydrodesulphurization; Vacuum distillation; Gas treating and sulphur recovery; Thermal Conversion; Hydro-cracking; Waste and Water Treatment Plans; and Utilities is definitely preferred;
- Must possess strong leadership, communication, interpersonal, organizational, and new infrastructure development skills.
Click the "Apply Now" button below to start the application process.
No agency or telephone inquiries please.
Only resumes of candidates being considered will be acknowledged.