Business / Project:Information Management
Job type:Full Time Regular (USA)
Location:US - Texas - Houston
BHP Billiton is all about smart technology, innovation and great talent. If you want a challenging career and a chance to explore resource opportunities as well as your ambitions, we're the company for you. Think ahead. Think BHP Billiton.
The primary role of this position is to provide strategic direction, and technical leadership for IM architecture, ensuring that the Petroleum business has fit for purpose, secure, high performance solutions that are aligned to business requirements.
This individual will provide technical leadership and consulting across the organization, from strategic decision making down to the project planning level. The IM Architect will gain organizational commitment for all high-level infrastructure plans, and initiate and participate in projects to evaluate technologies and methods for implementing these plans.
The IM Architect will work with other architects, engineers and systems implementers to ensure solutions are aligned with best practices and standards.
The IM Architect will also have primary responsibility for IM Security and Controls across the Petroleum organization.
- Maintains alignment with key business drivers and the IM Strategy.
- Insures that IM Control Process are implemented and appropriately adhered to.
- Interrelates business requirements and recognize opportunities to leverage technical solutions across multiple initiatives
- Identifies technology opportunities for business performance improvement.
- Documents and develops in-depth knowledge of company's ''current state'' IM architecture/infrastructure, and technology portfolio.
- Facilitates the development and maintenance of a consistent architecture for BHPB Petroleum, including principles, models, processes and standards to represent future state technology models.
- Sets the direction for IT infrastructure and security for the Petroleum Business. This includes but is not limited to: desktop, server, storage, LAN, WAN, voice communications, Internet/Extranet, collaboration tools for data & information sharing, videoconference technologies and SCADA.
- Develops and manages an infrastructure capacity plan.
- Develops and owns the Petroleum IT action plan for technology infrastructure
- Provides expertise on hardware and/or software solutions as applied in a complex heterogeneous systems environment.
- Leads the development, implementation and enforcement of technology policies and standards.
- Conducts research on emerging technologies in support of infrastructure development efforts, and recommend technologies that will increase cost effectiveness and infrastructure flexibility.
- Develops, documents, makes recommendations, and communicates plans for investing in IT infrastructure, including analysis of cost reduction opportunities.
- Designs, develops, and oversees implementation of end-to-end integrated systems.
- Develops and executes test plans to check infrastructure and systems technical performance. Reports on findings and makes recommendations for improvement.
- Keeps up to date on Oil and Gas industry trends in technology through links with vendors, partners, industry leaders and consulting organisations.
- Provides architectural consulting expertise, direction, and assistance to Systems Analysts, Systems Engineers, and other Systems Architects.
- Facilitates the sharing of knowledge and best practices within the broader IM team.
- Manages technical relationships with external service providers; information technology, hardware and software vendors.
KEY DELIVERABLES / KEY DIMENSIONS
The IM Enterprise Architect - Infrastructure will have overall ownership and responsibility for architectural design and documentation at Server, Storage, Virtualization, Database, and Network Infrastructure landscape and technical reference model level.
- Strategic Technology Planning - Ensure the creation and updating of technology plans and roadmaps to align with strategic business plans.
- Architecture Governance - Assist with the establishment and ongoing maintenance of Architecture frameworks and processes.
- IM Control Processes - Insure that all IM controls are current, documented, and of appropriate level to meet Group and business requirements.
- Requirements Capture and Solution Design - Work with IM Business Analysts and other Architects to translate business needs into technical requirements. Ensure solutions are designed to address long term demand and capacity requirements, performance, cost and associated business needs
- Standards development and governance - Develop and maintain standards and blueprints, fostering compliance and best practice. Align Petroleum level solutions with Corporate provided services.
BEHAVIOURAL & LEADERSHIP COMPETENCIES
- Is a role model to other team members of professional and ethical behavior
- Applies sound judgment based on experience, knowledge and ability to deal with ambiguity
- Has strong influencing skills, able to articulate IM deliverables required of others in the team
- Coaches and mentors less experienced team members and function colleagues with different skill sets
- Extends sphere of influence beyond current team into other teams in the same area and across divisions
- Is well networked both within the company and externally, recognized across that network as a significant contributor
- Is able to communicate the results of work by the entire team to management and partners, acknowledging contributions of others in both written and verbal skills.
- Supports the leadership and strategic direction of the organization
- Works to help identify and facilitate changes into operational reality.
- Excellent interpersonal skills - can establish and maintain win-win relationships.
- Strategic thinker - open to new ideas and can assist in defining direction.
- Excellent technical and analytical skills - can resolve complex problems.
- Action oriented - consistently drives for and delivers results that meet or exceed expectations.
- Brings out the Best in Others.
- Self driven with a positive ''can do'' attitude
- Possesses excellent work ethics and demonstrates through actions alignment with charter values.
- Infrastructure and Security team
- All other IM teams
- Key business contacts
- Corporate IM teams
- Other BHPB Business Units
- Service companies
- Hardware & Software vendors
Direct Reports (Positions)
This role will have 7 direct reports. This position is expected to influence and direct multiple in-direct reports, and service providers.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor's degree from accredited university in business, technical or equivalent field.
Experience & Technical Competencies
- 10+ years' experience in business processes and systems architecture and design including 4 years' experience in the Oil & Gas industry as well as 4+ years supervisory or management experience.
- Understanding of Enterprise Architecture frameworks like TOGAF or Zachman.
- Highly seasoned senior technocrat who will provide industry technology best practices to multiple project teams.
- Certification in one or more architecture / information technology disciplines (infrastructure, application, security, information, or business architecture) preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement high level systems strategies.
- Broad and deep knowledge of available technologies, systems design and business processes.
- Demonstrated high degree of business acumen and understanding of business applications used in a large, multinational business organization.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Excellent teaming and collaboration skills
Languages - English
THINK OF THE OPPORTUNITIES WITHIN BHP BILLITON. THINK LOCAL. THINK GLOBAL.
With 44,000 employees working in more than 100 operations in approximately 25 countries, we represent the world's largest diversified resources company. We take our commitment to the communities in which we operate and do business in very seriously, and we are committed to operating safely and sustainably.
M/F/D/V EEO/AA Employer