Maersk Oil is an international oil and gas company with operated production of about 625,000 barrels of oil equivalent per day. We produce oil and gas in Denmark, the UK, Qatar, Kazakhstan, Brazil and Algeria. Exploration activities are ongoing in Angola, Norway, the US Gulf of Mexico, Greenland and in the producing countries.
Turning marginal and challenging fields into commercial successes has been the cornerstone of Maersk Oil's business since 1962. Maersk Oil focuses on pioneering technologies and harnessing talent to continue to operate safely and successfully, creating value for partners and host governments. Maersk Oil and its subsidiary companies are part of the Danish A.P. Moller - Maersk Group.
Maersk Oil Houston is looking for a Petrophysicist to work in the Geosciences Team supporting the Exploration Department. The role will primarily provide support for Maersk Oil Brazil Exploration effort, but also builds on current expertise within the Geosciences and broadening the awareness of petrophysical learning's.
The Geosciences Team provides integrated geosciences expertise, within and across business units, helping to reduce risk and constrain uncertainty. This team of discipline specialists mentor, coach and collaborate across the geosciences community, contribute and maintain quality assurance within the Maersk Oil review process, seek out and deploy technology and innovative technical tools, actively engage and network with internal and external communities and groups.
Key Responsibilities and Tasks:
The Petrophysicist is responsible for generating solid petrophysical analysis and interpretation, and integrating the results with other subsurface disciplines, in support of the company's exploration efforts and farm-in and acquisition opportunities.
The ideal candidate will be a self-starter, a good communicator possessing strong analytical and technical skills, and enjoy working in a multicultural and multidisciplinary environment.
- Understand the Exploration process and closely engage with the Exploration teams in understanding their requirements
- Provide accurate and timely petrophysical advice and support to the Exploration team for prospect evaluation and regional petrophysical studies
- Support of exploration well operations and well evaluation planning, including evaluation of technical bids
- Coordinate and QC data acquisition, including mudlog, LWD, wireline, and core data, and be involved in post processing initiatives to ensure that the data used for interpretation is of the highest integrity and quality, in collaboration with the operational geologist
- Understand and support Maersk Oil's petrophysical standards and workflows
- Participate in Maersk Oil's peer assist and peer review processes to maintain quality assurance of technical work
- Participating in and strengthening petrophysical network across the worldwide Maersk Oil community and beyond. Continuously improving on existing practices and work processes as part of the Houston and global Maersk oil petrophysical community
- Participating in continuously improving the Geoscience technical knowledge strategy
Required Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
- 10+ years oil industry experience
- Experience in conducting advanced petrophysical evaluation in clastic and carbonate reservoirs in open/cased hole
- Experience in multi-well petrophysical studies
- Familiar with modern (wireline and LWD) logging tools, QC field data, and perform quick look as well as detailed analysis in support of decisions in exploration drilling operations (coring, fluid sampling, cement logs, etc)
Technical Degree on MSc. level or higher is preferred
The successful candidate should ideally also have:
- Experience working in South Atlantic Margin, in particular Offshore Brazil or analogue basins.
- Ability to design, implement and monitor core analysis (routine and special) programs
- Experience in Rock Physics is a plus
- Experience in Pore Pressure prediction is a plus
- Knowledge of the business, project drivers and economics
- Proficiency with Techlog software is a plus
This job description indicated the general nature and level of work expected of the incumbent. It is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities required of the incumbent. Incumbent may be asked to perform other duties as required.
Maersk Oil Houston is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
All applicants must possess a valid US Work Authorization.