The Global Edge Consultants has a major EPC client currently seeking Sr. Piping Designers on an ongoing contract to be based in Houston, TX or St. John's NL. The outlined requirements are shown below:
Diploma in Engineer or Combination of work experience and education
Trained in CAD drafting / designing software
- Minimum 5-10 years proven experience of detailed piping design gained with design contractors and/or oil/gas companies within the petrochemical industry particularly with respect to offshore oil and gas installations.
- A minimum of 5 years' experience as a user of PDMS. Draft is a plus.
- A minimum of 2 years' experience with MDS (Multi Design Support).
- A thorough knowledge of the codes and standards and a good understanding of offshore engineering practices applicable to topsides piping design for oil and gas facilities. Special consideration shall be given to those with Drilling Layout experience.
- A member of a piping design team on at least two major Greenfield projects offshore with a recognised company within the Oil & Gas Industry.
- Exposure to fabrication, construction and installation activities although detailed involvement is not essential
- Familiar with the prime drivers related to offshore topsides layout design.
- A high level of process and personnel safety awareness is required.
- It is required that the Senior Piping Designer possesses good analytical skills, excellent report writing and English skills.
- Furthermore, the candidate should be cost conscious, self-motivating, ambitious and hard working. Proficient computer skills with company software and network system. Can produce reports or lists to track progress of required project drawings.
Purpose Of Job:
Responsible for performing layout and piping design activities using project approved ''in house'' PDMS or 3D CAD modelling or 2D drafting systems
Area(s) of Responsibility:
Direction of PDMS Piping / Layout Design personnel
Technical Integrity Assurance.
Delivery to schedule.
Delivery to budget.
a) Knowledge of, and compliance with, Client Management Systems. Assurance that personnel under the Lead Piping Designer control comply with the procedures.
b) Knowledge of, and compliance with, client, industry and international specifications and standards. Assurance that personnel under the Lead PDMS Piping / Layout Engineer's control comply with relevant documents.
c) Part of PDMS Piping / Layout Designer team under the Lead PDMS Piping / Layout Engineer's control, and for the technical content and quality of work produced.
d) Assurance of competence of PDMS Piping / Layout Design personnel under the Lead PDMS Piping / Layout Engineer's control. Identification of personnel shortfalls and submission of proposal to Chief PDMS Piping / Layout Designer for solutions such as training, coaching or replacement.
e) Works with Lead PDMS Designer and frequent liaison to ensure coordination between design personnel.
f) Identification of scope of work required to undertake a project / job.
g) Estimation of deliverables, manpower and time required to execute the scope of work.
h) Preparation of Front End Engineering Design PDMS Piping / Layout Design deliverables.
i) Responsible for planning, organizing and coordinating with other disciplines the piping design and layout effort of a project utilizing PDMS.
j) Will prepare and / or check PDMS Piping / Layout Design deliverables; deliverables may include design philosophies, design pressure / design temperature diagrams, piping diagrams, datasheets for pipelines and associated facilities, such as pumping & compressor stations.
k) Early identification to Project Manager/Engineer of areas of concern during the course of any project or study with necessary corrective action identified.
l) Production of cost effective engineering solutions that are fit for purpose, safe and add value to the Client. Motivation of discipline personnel to do similarly.
m) Ensuring operational and maintenance issues are addressed in the design. Seeking input from operations and maintenance personnel and, if beneficial, carrying out presentations to site personnel of changes to their installation.
n) Monitoring progress of work under the Lead PDMS Piping / Layout Engineer's control and achieving completion within the agreed schedule and budget. Reporting progress as per client systems and procedures.
o) Forward planning of resources and timely identification of changes to resource requirements to the Chief PDMS Piping / Layout Designer.
p) Approval of documents created by own discipline, e.g. drawings, calculations, design reports, or on behalf of own discipline, e.g. workpacks.
q) Review of documents circulated by other disciplines for IDC or comment.
r) Review of Supplier / Vendor documents.
s) Communication with other discipline Lead Engineers to ensure design integrity and consistency.
t) Checking of requisitions for purchase of engineered items and services.
u) Identification of increase or reduction in scope of work and raising the necessary support documents for project control purposes.
v) Attendance at meetings called by Project Manager / Engineer, e.g. kick-off meeting, progress meeting, or delegation of a deputy to attend instead.
w) Attendance at Design Reviews, HAZOPs, Constructability Assessments etc. or delegation of a deputy to attend instead.
x) Ensuring PDMS Piping / Layout Designers follow process procedures for document control and use and retention of check prints/IDC comments prints.
y) Ensuring close-out of completed jobs in a timely manner.
z) Representation of Clients and Suppliers / Vendors in a professional manner.
- Demonstration of safe approach in design and working practices, following the objectives of the Office and project specific Health, Safety and Environmental Plans.
- Encouragement of attention to safety in personnel under the Lead Engineer's control.
- Awareness and understanding of the business drivers within the Client relationship and how these can be influenced by innovative designs and fit-for-purpose solutions.
- Development of good working relationship with Client and site personnel.
- Use of opportunities at meetings with Clients, Vendors etc. to learn of additional work which the client could undertake, and to promote the client's capabilities.
- During surveys and site visits, communication with Operations and Maintenance personnel to determine any opportunities where client could provide an engineering solution to existing problems or for improving the existing practice.
- Liaison with Lead PDMS Piping / Layout Engineer to identify areas for development and to implement improvements in working practices.
Systems and Processes
- Provision of information as required by client systems.
- Training and development of Graduate Engineers and assistance to Lead PDMS Piping / Layout / Layout Engineer for training and development of Trainee Designers.
- Annual appraisal of PDMS Piping / Layout Designers.
- Adherence to the Client QMS.
- Keeping up to date with technical developments, client, national and international standards and legislative requirements related to the role.
- Responsible for ensuring that all supervised personnel are aware of continuous improvement issues and kept abreast of new technology.