Updated: Apr 30 2013
||Mechanical Engineering, Process Engineer
||Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
||Houston, TX, US
||Full Time Salaried Employee
Active / Open
Process engineers typically work on project assignments to produce deliverables. Process engineers may also be asked to investigate new technologies and engineering approaches.
- • Process Simulations
- • Process Flow Diagrams (PFD's) with Heat and Material Balances
- • Process Datasheets
- • Piping and Instrumentation Diagrams (P&ID's)
- • Equipment Lists (with associated sizing calculations)
- • Line Lists (with associated sizing calculations and hydraulic calculations)
- • Investigations of technical items - documented in written reports and studies
- • Review and adherence to specifications, regulations, and standards
- • Engineering Design, Commissioning, Startup, and Operating Manuals
- • Support of HAZOP panels and other Hazard Assessments
- • Coordination with other engineering and design disciplines
- Performs engineering design evaluations, calculations and analysis.
- Prepares reports, correspondence, procedures, specifications and technical calculations. Prepares technical data and papers for sales personnel, customers and publications using good internal presentation and report writing skills.
- Creates sketches and specifications following application of basic scientific/engineering principles and specific procedures
- Prepares documentation, information, communications and engineering specifications and ensures conformance to all policies and procedures related to engineering functions, labor reporting and systems reporting.
- Consults with other departments on equipment designs, problems and questions.
- Technically reviews equipment and instrumentation selections.
- May travel occasionally to field sites to gather data or participate in checkouts, commissioning, startups, or trouble-shooting.
- May assist and/or check the work of drafters and designers.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Experience & Skills
- BS in Chemical, Petroleum, or Mechanical Engineering required. Masters or PhD preferred.
- Typically 4+ years of experience in Process Engineering and Design
- Awareness of trends and economic conditions affecting the technical field.
- Basic understanding of the engineering requirements to calculate and describe phase behavior, thermodynamic phenomena, fluid flow, and basic unit operations as well as basic properties of materials of construction.
- Ability to translate this understanding into drawings and schematics.
- Advanced computer skills with MS Office programs and familiarity with coding and use of process simulation software and ability to trouble-shoot simulations and other computer issues.
- Oral and written communication skills with good vocabulary, good grammar and the ability to independently compose routine written communications.
- Ability to prepare accurate, effective, complete and easily understood written communications and reports.
- Ability to work in a team environment and willingness to assume additional or new responsibilities readily.
- Ability to maintain regular attendance as per work schedule agreed with manager (may require working an adjusted work schedule based on project assigned and work overtime if warranted).
- Willingness to comply with applicable laws and regulations, the Company's Code of Business Conduct and other Company policies and procedures.