Job Number: NASP750200
Position Title: PMPU Environmental Specialist
Opening date: 30 Aug 2012 9:00am
BHP Billiton is all about smart technology, innovation and great talent. If you want a challenging career and a chance to explore resource opportunities as well as your ambitions, we're the company for you. Think ahead. Think BHP Billiton.
• Obtain local permits required for operational activities
• Ensure compliance with permit requirements
• Specialist input to incident investigations and audits.
• Obtain RTB Information to support permits and plans, e.g., wetlands, floodplain, Cultural Resources, Threatened and Endangered Species, Water Quality Certificates, TOWAIR, FAA and SPCC
• Provide quality control on permits and plans developed by 3rd party personnel.
• Ensure Operations are issued the construction required ''Release to Build'' (RTB) notifications
• Influence positive outcomes with various regulatory agencies concerning HSE and Operations through timely and professional engagement on regulatory matters.
• Ensure key internal stakeholders are familiar with issues that will or may impact existing operations
• Maintain compliance with Federal, State and local HSE and Operational requirements
• Implement HSEC Management Standards, Protocols and Procedures to meet internal compliance requirements
• Provide regulatory support and advice for established production operations and associated activities, including the design, construction, installation and commissioning of new facilities within the Permian operation.
• Ensure compliance with Corporate, Petroleum Division and Production Unit HSEC Management Standards, Protocols and Procedures, as well as relevant Project Management Processes, and maintain regular liaison with key HSEC stakeholders.
• Support the alignment of regulatory requirements with the BHPB Fatal Risk Control Protocols and other relevant internal processes.
• Conduct periodic regulatory audits to verify compliance and report on current status/gaps.
• Report to HSE and Operations leadership on regulatory activities that will or may potentially impact the Permianoperations.
• Facilitate the legal and regulatory requirements associated with delivery of new projects through coordination with relevant subject matter experts.
• Provides advice and input to the sub-contractors on relevant regulatory issues, as appropriate.
• Represent the production unit in key regulatory stakeholder meetings, including meetings with government agencies, local content committees, non-governmental organizations and communities to ensure alignment of project and operational objectives.
• Maintain and provide information on appropriate files relating to assigned regulatory activities
• Develop programs to minimize potential environmental incidents (e.g., spills), personnel exposure and long term liabilities, especially concerning wastes and site closures.
• Coordinate and conduct environmental monitoring where required
• Coordinate county/city permitting.
• Attain municipal special use permits.
• Provide testimony as needed before town planning commissions and other public forums in support of permitting efforts.
• Communicate with Drilling and Production departments to ensure necessary permits are obtained in a timely manner.
• Set up and maintain applicable records.
• Advises of regulations that may impact drilling and/or production activities.
• Perform all duties in accordance with BHPB HSE Policies and procedures.
• Uses a Risk-based approach
• Provides Coaching to others
• Audit/ Verification/OAQC
BEHAVIOURAL & LEADERSHIP COMPETENCIES
• Action Orientation
• HSE Manager PMPU
• HSE Manager/Supervisor Regulatory& Environment
• PMPU Asset Team
• Environmental Engineering Function (Petroleum)
• Field Permitting Specialists
• Field HSE Specialist
• Operations Team
• Engineering Team
• Drilling Team
• HSE Consultants
• Government Agencies
• Regulatory Consultants
• Industry/Government Work Groups
• The Environmental /Regulatory Specialist will be based in one of the West Texas Field Offices and is required to travel up to 50 % of the time. It will be a full time position reporting to the PMPU HSE Superintendent.
• The role will provide direct HSE support to Field Operations Teams. The role will be supported by the PMPU Houston based HSE Team.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
• BSc in a related Engineering or Science discipline preferred
• Qualification and experience in an Regulatory and/or HSE discipline
• 5+years HSE/Regulatory experience is preferred
• Upstream (Oil & Gas) experience (Projects or Production)
• Experience in conducting audits
• Experience in incident reporting and investigation
• Demonstrated successful relationships with US regulators and other stakeholders
• Strong Communication and Presentation skills
• Must have valid State issued drivers license and be able to travel, including overnight travel, work evenings and weekends as required.
• Other languages optional
THINK OF THE OPPORTUNITIES WITHIN BHP BILLITON. THINK LOCAL. THINK GLOBAL.
With 44,000 employees working in more than 100 operations in approximately 25 countries, we represent the world's largest diversified resources company. We take our commitment to the communities in which we operate and do business in very seriously, and we are committed to operating safely and sustainably.
M/F/D/V EEO/AA Employer