Swift Worldwide Resources
Updated: Aug 30 2012
||Project Management, Research & Development
||Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
||Ferndale, MI, US
Closed - No longer accepting applications
Research and Development Engineer
The foremost in the Cordage Industry, this world-wide known company continues to push the leading edge in rope technology. The company's unwavering commitment to research, development, and a unique package of field engineering and after-sale support services has resulted in stronger and more durable products for a diverse range of commercial and recreational users.
The R&D Engineer will be a technical resource as individual contributor and/or program team leader to implement technical projects that support strategic company goals. The position requires an ability to work closely with both internal and external resources and customers, to coordinate technology development activities and programs in response to specific market and production requirements as well as customer-related questions and complaints.
- 4 year degree in Engineering or Applied Science.
- Materials or Engineering background is preferred.
Responsibilities and essential job functions include but are not limited to the following:
- Plan, coordinate and manage assigned product development or R&D projects.
- Act as the liaison between the R&D and Operations groups to support all active R&D and Engineering projects.
- Assist Application Engineers / Project Leaders in planning, coordinating and testing as required.
- Provide technical support to customers and sales; responding to technical inquiries via phone, email, or through customer service reps.
- Report interim findings, make suggestions for future work and develop final reports on projects.
- Assist in the development of technical papers and articles for publication and/or presentation on behalf of the company's technology and associated applications.
- Periodically review new technologies (materials, machinery, process, testing) and explore new ideas to make constructive recommendations.
Travel for the following reasons:
- Visit customer sites to review complaints or to provide new product evaluation/support.
- Visit suppliers/partners to support joint projects/efforts as needed.
- Responsible for maintaining a working knowledge and familiarity with:
- Rope design and an ability to work within Company's Ropcon system.
- Company test equipment and testing procedures.
- Manufacturing machinery (twisters, braiders, etc).
- Company products and specific manufacturing procedures.
- Splicing and fabrication techniques for all products.
- Attend training sections and technical meetings as needed.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as may be directed by the local Technical Manager or Application Engineering Manager.
- Strong attention to detail and analytical skills.
- Advanced computer skills including use of Microsoft Office.
- Work effectively individually or as part of a team treating all team members with mutual respect and build strong cohesive relationships.
- Ability to work independently of direct supervision.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to deliver excellent customer service to both internal and external customers.
- Strong project management skills.
- Ability to make recommendations on changes in approach, concepts, and the design of solutions as a member of a team.
- Ability to set priorities, meet deadlines, be organized, and manage multiple projects in a fast-paced, changing environment.
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information.
- Be depended on to report to work at the scheduled time and to complete work in a timely, accurate and thorough manner.
- Ensure that all activities conform to Company policies, and all appropriate laws and regulations.
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing with superiors, colleagues, and individuals inside and outside the Company. Exhibit a professional manner in dealing with others to maintain constructive working relationships.
- Frequent periods of standing, walking, or sitting.
- Lifting up to 10 pounds frequently; up to 25 pounds occasionally.
- Primarily working in an office environment with extensive exposure to manufacturing environment.
- Ability to travel approximately 20% of the time.
This Position Is Closed to New Applicants
This position is no longer open for new applications. Either the position has expired or was removed because it was filled.
However, there are thousands of other great jobs to be found on Rigzone.
Similar Jobs Currently Available