Deepwater Drilling Engineer
An independent oil and natural gas exploration and production, this company is headquartered in Lafayette, Louisiana, with additional offices in New Orleans, Louisiana, Houston, Texas and Morgantown, West Virginia.
The business strategy is to leverage high cash flow generated from existing assets to:
- Maintain relatively stable GOM Shelf production
- Profitably grow gas reserves and rate in price-advantaged basins (Appalachia, Gulf Coast Basin)
- Profitably grow oil reserves and rate in material impact areas (Deepwater GOM and Onshore Oil)
POSITION OBJECTIVE & JOB DUTIES - Support the Operations Manager and the Company's DW Asset Teams in value creation; screen & mature internal Drilling & Completion (D&C) development projects, primarily surrounding the "Pompano Asset" and provide technical reviews of non-operated development projects. The DwDE will assess the cost, schedule, risks & opportunities for each project in order to aid the Company in its investment decisions. The DwDE will assess the Company's legacy deepwater wells for re-entry and/or workover opportunities and evaluate the type of Containment Plan required using requisite design engineering software such as StressCheck & WellCat. Additionally the DwDE will be primarily responsible for generating the final design basis for wells along with cost estimates, AFE, procedures and drilling permit. During operations, the DwDE will be responsible for performance monitoring and contingency planning to assure project objectives are met. After operations, the DwDE will assist in post job analysis, recording lessons learned and close out of issues related to vendors, regulatory and HSE.
Qualifications - (Essential):
· BS degree in Petroleum, Mechanical, Civil Engineering from an accredited University located in the United States.
· A minimum of three (3) years of deepwater well planning/operational engineering experience, primarily in drilling and some familiarity with completions.
· In addition to the three years of deepwater experience, the candidate shall have a minimum of 5 additional years of (8-yrs total) industry experience in Gulf of Mexico (GoM) well operations.
Qualifications - (Desirable):
· Professional Engineer Registration in Petroleum, Mechanical or Civil Engineering.
· Current Subsea Well Control Certification
Primary Objective & Responsibility; Design & Assess Deepwater Development Drilling, Completion & Workover Opportunities.
- Review discovery well and offset wells and develop optimized drilling/completion designs for development.
- Prepare the design basis, well design and cost estimate for operated wells.
- Prepare for and present well design and costs at various corporate gates required for project approval. Gates include but are not limited to;
- Peer Review(s) & Risk Assessment(s) required for SEMS.
- Technical Review with Asset Team
- Operations Committee
- Investment Committee
- Partner Reviews
Primary Objective & Responsibility; Prepare detailed Drilling Prognosis for approved work which will include but not be limited to the following;
· Pore Pressure, Fracture Gradient & Overburden Gradient.
· Static Temperature Profile
· Casing Design using Company design standards and BSEE requirements.
· Mud Program
· Drill String & Landing String Program
· Quality Assurance Program
· Cementing & Centralization Program
· Wellhead, Casing & Liner Running Program
· Barrier & Pressure Test Program
· Directional Plan & Survey Program
· Bit & Reamer Program
· Drilling System Program
· Logging Program
Primary Objective & Responsibility; Work with the Deepwater Superintendent to specify and select the required tangible equipment and services needed to execute the work.
· Insofar as equipment is concerned, a goal for implementation is to select equipment which has utility across multiple projects (Standardization).
· Generation of long lead AFE's inclusive of wellhead, large OD casing and downhole equipment shall be prepared by the DwDE.
Secondary Objective & Responsibility; Help prepare (in conjunction with the Deepwater Completions Engineer) a detailed Completion & Workover Prognosis for approved work.
Primary Objective & Responsibility; Prepare requisite permit packages needed for revisions to Exploration Plans & Development Operations Coordination Documents with BOEM and Drilling, Completion and Workover Permits required by BSEE.
Primary Objective & Responsibility; Execute the Plans developed under the direction of the Deepwater Drilling Superintendent whilst maintaining the corporate objectives of;
1) Safety, 2) Environmental Protection, 3) Compliance, 4) Production and 5) Cost.
· Willingness and ability to respond, on short notice, to well problems that may occur throughout the Company's Deepwater Operations in order to provide timely technical assistance.
Secondary Objective & Responsibility; Non Operated Projects:
· Assess non operated projects for operational and enterprise risk.
· Review AFE's and help advance the project through Company's Investment approval process.
· Maintain routine contact with Partner for schedule, cost, technical and permitting updates.
· Provide advice on budget updates as needed.
Primary Objective & Responsibility; Emergency Response:
· Available for participation on Company's Incident Management Team (IMT) for Source Control.
· Participate in requisite training, announced & unannounced drills.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience (Essential):
- Experienced in pore pressure prediction using petro-physical methods.
- Skilled in using shallow hazards in well planning and site assessments for MODU's.
- Skilled & experienced in evaluating tubular loading / movement for floating drilling operations.
- Skilled in deepwater casing design & installation fundamentals.
- Stress Check and/or TDAS
- Subsea Wellheads
- Landing String Design
- Exhibits a working knowledge of drilling fluid types including riserless water based muds, flat rheology synthetic based muds, drill-in fluids and deepwater packer fluids.
- Experienced in Complex Well Path Design issues related to completion design requirements including T&D modeling optimization, hydraulics optimization along with associated wellbore cleanout and displacement methodologies.
- Experienced in Rotary Steerable & Concentric Reaming System Applications.
- Exhibits a clear understanding of installation fundamentals of casing, wellhead and liner systems and associated design / operational limitations.
- Experienced/Knowledgeable in drill down liner hangers and SET installation.
- Skilled in design and execution of primary and remedial cementing methods for production casing, liners and tiebacks.
- Thorough understanding of United States federal regulations regarding well operations such as; 30CFR250 Subparts B, C, D, E & F.
- Skilled in the use of Microsoft Office Suite; Excel, Power Point, Word and Project.
- Experience with benchmarking systems such as Dodson and morning report systems such as Peloton.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience (Desirable):
- Ability to work with asset teams & completion/production engineers to optimize completion & workover design as well as to prepare the associated detailed operational procedures.
- Familiar with Annular Pressure Buildup (APB) principles and mitigation.
- Familiar with and interested in WellCat to assess APB and tubular moves during drilling, completion, well testing and production.
- Familiar with BSEE's requirements for Worst Case Discharge (WCD) well assessment using the Industry developed Well Containment Screening Tool (WCST).
- Familiar with risk assessments and assessing risks for planned operations.
- Knowledgeable of API Documents relative to floating well completion and workover planning such as RP-2SK, RP-5A5 & 5C5, TR-5C3, Spec. 5CT, RP-7G, RP-10B2 & 10B3, Spec 14A, RP-14B, Spec. 16A,C,D,F , RP-16Q, RP-17D, TR-17TR4, RP-53, RP-65 Part 2, RP-68, RP-75, RP-90, RP-96 and Bulletin 97.
- Familiar with Drillworks Predict Software used for pore pressure prediction.
- Familiar with or knowledge of nodal analysis software utilized to calculate WCD's.
HEALTH, SAFETY & REGULATORY COMPLIANCE - Individual must be willing to lead by example, seek understanding of applicable regulations and ensure projects are planned and executed in accordance with or exceeding Company requirements and applicable regulations. Minimum expectations of all company employees are noted below;
- Convey a culture of Safety above all other priorities and participate/support behavior based safety programs.
- Plan your work and operate with a mission to protect the environment.
- Compliance with regulations, workplace policies and procedures for risk identification, risk assessment and risk control
- Active participation in activities associated with the management of workplace health and safety
- Identification and reporting of health and safety risks, accidents, incidents, injuries and property damage at the workplace
- Correct utilization of appropriate personal protective equipment.
· Competitive Base salary
· Lucrative Bonus Opportunities Yearly
· Stock Options
· Health benefits with dental and vision
· Generous Sick and Vacation Leave