A global energy leader with an exciting future
Nexen Inc. is an upstream oil and gas company responsibly developing energy resources in some of the world's most significant basins, including the UK North Sea, offshore West Africa, the Gulf of Mexico and Western Canada. We're strategically focused on three businesses: conventional oil and gas, oil sands, and shale gas.
Nexen is big enough to provide you with boundless career opportunities, and small enough so you get recognized for your work. Our high standards of integrity and governance have earned us a global reputation for valuing the big picture: people, safety and the environment. Your contributions are rewarded with a highly competitive compensation package and a healthy work-life balance, and training that will open doors to your future.
Why work for Nexen in the Gulf of Mexico?
Because we're bringing new energy to Houston.
Nexen is one of the top leaseholders in the Gulf and we're moving forward with more exploration and appraisal. On the rigs and in the office, our people work in teams to support each other. Our high standards of integrity and governance have earned us a global reputation for valuing the big picture: people, safety and the environment. Your contributions are rewarded with a highly competitive compensation package, a healthy work-life balance and training that will open doors to your future.
Reporting to the USOG Manager, Enterprise Supply Chain Solutions (ESCS), the ESCS Engineering and Technical Services Manager will be an embedded functional ESCS leadership position leading a team of commercial professionals. This ESCS leadership position will have Supply Chain functional accountability for the USOG Division's major capital projects phases. The scope of the role will be accountable for functional execution and management of the engineering, technical services and project facilities contracting and procurement projects. In addition, the successful candidate will be a senior global contributor to the advancement, deployment and sustainment of the Nexen's Global Category Management Program (GCMP).
This position will be based in the Houston, Texas, office; candidates must either reside in Houston or be willing to relocate.
- As a high performing manager, the successful candidate will recognize, value and reward the contributions of team members in support of business unit objectives;
- Ensure supply chain deliverables are met, including identification of the most effective Contract strategies and participation at relevant Gate or Peer Reviews. Deliverables include both Contracting and Procurement activity throughout project execution into operations start-up. Responsibility would include any Claims mitigation;
- Manage and lead the ESCS team in all contracting and tendering activities in support of divisional contracting;
- Understand the global and Gulf of Mexico supply market, commercial structure and dynamics of contractors and suppliers associated with major offshore developments;
- Manage the monitoring, measurement and joint-facilitation of continuous improvement in vendor performance;
- Stay abreast of policies, procedures and approval process that set the standards for the procurement process and ensure compliance with all audit and SOX initiatives. Manage, respond to, and (when appropriate) escalate all internal and external contract issues, and risks;
- Coordinate with ESCS shared services team members, accounts payable and technical customers to streamline the plan-to-pay process;
- Sustain working knowledge of SAP to ensure team members maintain timely control of orders, amendments, shipping notices, and other documents in SAP to guarantee accurate retention of records;
- Key change management and leadership position utilized to move ESCS along the journey toward category management implementation.
- This position will supervise ESCS staff and contract personnel. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; and addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering, Commercial, or relevant discipline is preferred, with a minimum of 10 years of direct or supporting experience in support of major projects;
- Understanding of development options, technical standards, equipment lead times, and commodity markets is required;
- Knowledge of deepwater Gulf of Mexico projects would be an asset. Strong analytical and negotiation skills required. Membership of a relevant professional body (eg: IACCM, MCIPS, CPSM, MIIAPS) preferred;
- Strong Microsoft Office skills required, including Word, PowerPoint, and Excel;
- Must be a team player with have excellent interpersonal skills to effectively interact with coworkers, internal customers and the supply community;
- A strong delivery and process improvement mindset is required. Must be an innovative thinker with strong communication and facilitation skills.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, technical standards, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Nexen Petroleum U.S.A. Inc. is an EEO/Affirmative Action employer / Principals Only / No phone calls or emails please.