At Nexen, it's not just what we do that makes us a leader in our industry it's how we do it. Nexen is a Canadian-based energy company with international assets. We're building a sustainable future with our unconventional resource developments and world-class operations. From oil sands, coalbed methane and shale gas in North America to the deep waters of the Gulf of Mexico, the North Sea, offshore West Africa and the Middle East, Nexen is at the forefront of industry innovation and development.
We've earned a global reputation for doing the right thing, giving us the edge in many challenging locations around the world. Our company cares. That means we build relationships with stakeholders based on integrity and open dialogue. And, we strive to minimize the impact of our activities on communities and the natural environment. We do all we can to ensure our employees and contractors go home safely at the end of every work day. Our workplace is exciting, challenging and fun. We encourage initiative and welcome innovative ideas from everyone at any level. We're a company you can believe in.
Nexen has over 3,800 employees worldwide and is listed on both the New York and Toronto stock exchanges.
The Engineer or Geoscientist (Geologist or Geophysicist) - Exploration Planning role will report to the Manager, Planning and Portfolio - Global Exploration, and work with both the Manager and the Global Exploration Leadership Team on a variety of planning initiatives.
This role will interact regularly with the Global Exploration Leadership Team and be responsible for ongoing communication and interface with Exploration and Development technical groups, Global Exploration Management, International Division Planning and Finance groups, and Corporate Planning.
This position will be responsible for coordinating planning activities and portfolio analysis, as well as working closely with Global Exploration teams to provide a comprehensive understanding and overview of Nexen's exploration opportunities. This role will provide a rewarding learning experience for an engineer or geoscientist seeking to contribute to the Global Exploration business, build a solid understanding of exploration and appraisal activities, planning and financial business cycles, and Nexen's total business and operation. The Engineer or Geoscientist - Exploration Planning will play a key role in facilitating decision making regarding what Global Exploration pursues, thereby supporting our business' ongoing change and growth.
The successful candidate must be flexible in terms of job scope and definition as the role evolves.
- Facilitate decision making, compile data from various sources, analyze, and synthesize it into clear and concise messages, reports or presentations;
- Responsible for assisting with Exploration portfolio modeling and analysis;
- Understand and report technical and economic input/output parameters to assess the impact of exploration opportunities;
- Perform database analysis and run models to back up opportunity analysis within the Exploration portfolio;
- Conduct statistical and trend analysis (e.g., success rates and potential);
- Compile and interpret Nexen metrics and performance tracking, and co-ordinate annual performance reviews;
- Undertake industry and competitor analysis;
- Assist with the coordination of Exploration's Annual Operating (AOP) and Strategic Plans;
- Work actively with the Global Exploration Planning team to ensure integration into the Global Exploration AOP and Strategic Plan;
- Assist with preparation and review of reports for the Board of Directors and senior management, including operations updates and strategic presentations;
- Assist in the creation of exploration related press releases and the exploration component of Nexen's external investor presentations;
- Assist with preparation and analysis of monthly operational and financial reporting;
- Assist with the approval process for Exploration and Appraisal projects, including preparing documentation and coordinating input from different groups.
- Minimum of a Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, Geology, or Geophysics;
- 5 to 10 years' experience working in an Oil & Gas operational/business environment;
- Understanding of oil and gas economics and portfolio analysis/management;
- Experience working in an Exploration, Appraisal, or Development business and awareness of exploration process, including basic geotechnical knowledge;
- Knowledge of US Gulf of Mexico, North Sea, Atlantic Margin, and/ or European assets/fields is an advantage;
- Strong analytical skills;
- Familiarity with risk analysis;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Solid presentation skills;
- Comfortable working with various business functions and all levels of internal contacts (up to executive management);
- Must be able to take initiative and be self-directed;
- Proven track record of working effectively in a team environment;
- Proficiency with MS Office (Word, PowerPoint, and Excel);
- Ability to multi-task and handle competing/changing priorities.
Nexen Inc. offers a competitive compensation and benefits package and excellent opportunities for growth and advancement.
No agency or telephone inquiries please.
Only resumes of candidates being considered will be acknowledged.