The Mechanical Engineer position provides engineering and technical support for the Company's fleet operations, new build programs, modification projects, upgrade projects and marketing support. This support includes analytical analysis, design, and developing solutions for Mechanical systems including drilling, marine, power, hydraulic, control, instrumentation, communications and alarm systems. It provides recommendations on new designs and enhancements to existing design specifications. This includes methods for optimization of existing and emerging equipment designs and materials used in the deepwater drilling industry. The opportunity is a 1st principles based engineering position. Professional report generation, understanding of Classification Rules, Industry Codes and Standards, IMO, coastal and flag state regulations applicable to offshore drilling vessels is required. Usually there are no direct reports as this is an individual contributor position, however, the incumbent may find themselves appointed to be the leader of an ad hoc team to solve a particular problem.
Prior experience performing mechanical systems design and analysis. Minimum 3 years engineering experience within the offshore drilling industry. Preferably with 1-3 years experience with semi-submersibles/drill-ships and a working knowledge of offshore drilling and mechanical system design philosophies including deepwater drilling equipment design, operation, and maintenance requirements.
Education, Training, Licenses and/or Certifications
Bachelor of Science degree from an accredited college or university in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent discipline required. An advanced degree and/or professional licensure are a plus.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
• Analyze piping fluid flow, HVAC and equipment load calculations.
• Review equipment and machinery test documents.
• Review and comment on piping, HVAC, equipment and machinery schematics.
• Prepare general arrangement, P&ID, block diagrams, schedules, and other drawings.
• Perform suitability review on equipment and machinery.
• Ensure compliance with coastal state, flag state, IMO, Class rules, Ensco standards and practices, and/or others as required on all projects.
• Attend pre-commissioning and commissioning test for new projects.
• Analyze equipment and machinery failures.
• Attend field rig surveys and audits as required including Mechanical equipment audits
• Assist with the creation of test specifications and instructions for rig's equipment and machinery.
• Assist with feasibility studies for Ensco projects.
• Conduct detailed Mechanical system design review through established company guidelines.
• Provide technical support to rig performance teams, project teams, marketing and other Company departments as required.
• Assist in development of equipment specifications and repair procedures, evaluation of technical proposals.
• Assist in development of project work scopes, cost and scheduling for projects.
• Assist in development of equipment testing procedures and participate in product FAT.
• Participate in FMEA and FMECA studies.
• Performs other duties as may be assigned.
Minimum Requirements for this position
• Working knowledge of applicable engineering applications software.
• Working knowledge of AutoCAD, Microsoft Office and Microsoft Project software suites.
• Ability to gather and analyze/synthesize data, confirming its accuracy and adequacy as an integral part of the collective analysis/synthesis process.
• Demonstrated effective leadership and influencing skills and practices.
• Knowledge of financial accounting, purchasing and management systems.
• Physically capable of being transported to an offshore rig by boat or helicopter.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Excel at an advanced level (use financial and logical functions; work with multiple worksheets and workbooks; edit and use macros; import and export information).
• Working knowledge of document control systems and databases.
• Familiarity with the following is required: ANSI, IEC, IEEE, NEC, NEMA, UL Standards.
• Familiarity with ASME, API, AISC, ABS, DNV, BV, Lloyds and IMO Codes is required.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this job. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
To be considered an applicant, you must apply directly to our company website.