Summarize briefly the major function and purpose of the position.
Applies more advanced skills and welding processes to cut, shape, join, surface, fabricate or repair parts of metal or other weldable materials. Supports High Bay assembly with all welding needs.
What are the minimum qualifications an employee must have in order to perform the duties of the position? (I.e. educational requirements, licenses, certification, work experience, training etc.)
Must have a High School Diploma, GED or equivalent. Must have the ability to read, write & comprehend written and verbal English. Six months mechanical experience preferred. Training at a Trade School or Welding Apprentice Program or equivalent experience is desirable. Must have the ability to comprehend all internal documents such as machining and fabrication engineering drawings, bills of material and work orders, quality and safety documents. Must be able to understand written descriptions on work orders and be able to perform basic math problems. Applies pre-heat. Performs pipe welding requirements with minimal supervision/assistance. Applies local stress relief. Maintains a high 5s standard. Must have ability to use measuring equipment such as a tape measure and protractor. Must be able to operate material handling equipment including forklifts and cranes, hand tools and power tools. Must have passed all classroom and hands-on training and be code certified. Exposure to manufacturing or welding environment preferred. Typically has four to seven years welding experience in a similar industry.
What training will an employee need to perform the duties of the position?
Training in the basic Welding and Cutting Processes used in the Houston Operation for all position welding and cutting. Must be able to successfully pass a WPQ (coupon) on carbon steel in the 6G position with TIG hot pass and Inconel filler. Houston Operating Procedures, START Safety Program, Quality System. Material Handling Certification and training to operate high torque wrenches, overhead cranes, jib cranes and rigging. Training to operate other machines/equipment in the shop as needed. May perform more advanced duties as part of training and development.
- Indicate positions that report directly to this position. Number of direct / indirect reports.
- No direct reports.
- Indicate internal/external contacts and purpose of contacts.
- Direct interface with others in department and with other manufacturing personnel on a frequent basis.
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITIES / ACCOUNTABILITY:
- Indicate budget/revenue responsibility.
- Explain the degree of supervision/guidance, procedures/ processes used, judgement, creativity, planning & resourcefulness needed to do the job. Works under limited supervision on varied and moderately complex tasks. Resolves most questions and problems independently and refers only the most complex issues to higher levels.
- How are errors detected and what is possible impact of those errors?
- Probable errors are usually detected in succeeding operations and generally confined to department.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
The work environment and physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Describe general working conditions (i.e. noise level, temperature, around heavy machinery)
Exposure to possible shop hazards including: welding fumes, heat, flash burns, skin burns, high noise level, eye injuries (from welding arc and grinders). Spends 100% of time in shop.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Describe amount & frequency of physical requirements of the position (i.e. lifting, pushing, climbing)
Standing 80% of the time, walking, climbing, bending, stooping, and heavy lifting, pushing and pulling.
Vision must be correctable to 20/20.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITY AREAS:
Identify the major duties and tasks accomplished by this position. For each duty, identify if it is an E - essential function or N - nonessential function of the job.
E/N Duties and Responsibilities
- E Plans work activities using experience and judgment to complete projects per the requirements of the production schedule and manufacturing standards. May adapt or recommend new procedures, techniques, tools, materials and/or equipment to meet special needs.
- E Joins surfaces, fabricates or repairs parts of metal or other weldable materials using advanced welding skills as specified by work orders, blueprints, sketches or charts. May need to interpret engineering drawings and DBI's
- E Performs fit-up and weld out of projects following established procedures and instructions and consistently meets or exceeds quality, safety and production requirements for assigned projects.
- E Lays out and marks weld points on parts or subassemblies using rule, square, scribe or templates.
- E Positions pieces to be welded into jigs, holding fixtures, guides and steps using measuring instruments and hand tools.
- E Inspects completed work for conformance to specifications and standards. Completes inspection documentation in an accurate and timely manner. Reports all discrepancies with manufacturing standards.
- E Assists in training, assigning and checking the work of lower level employees. Serves as a resource to others in the resolution of problems and issues.
- E Models good housekeeping and properly disposes of waste according to safety and environmental policies.
- E Models working practices and makes others aware of safety issues in work area. Participates in safety awareness program.
- N May serve as a lead (see Lead job description for details).
- E Demonstrated competency to operate clad equipment, perform local stress relief and operate PWHT ovens.
- E Participates, supports and sustains a high 5s level.
- E Consistently produces high quality product within standard times.
- E Completes paperwork and assist in policing buffer-queue-run part flow.
- E Learns and follows safety procedures. Participates in safety awareness program.
This job description is a general description of essential job functions. It is not intended as an employment contract, nor is it intended to describe all duties someone in this position may perform. All employees of FMC Technologies are expected to perform tasks as assigned by supervisory personnel, regardless of job title or routine job duties.