This position will spearhead the technical evaluation, development, and formulation of fuels and fuel components derived from biologically produced alcohol and its derivatives. This position will play an integral role in business development and commercialization activities for sales into fuels markets (gasoline, diesel, jet fuel, specialty fuels). This position will work closely with in-house technical resources (e.g., process chemistry, process development) and provide technical support externally as needed (e.g., regulatory, certification). A combination of expertise in the fields of formulation of petrochemical & bio-based fuels, fuels quality specifications, physical property analysis and test / lab protocols is desired.
The position's essential duties include the following:
Primary technical expert driving commercial development and market rollout of alcohol fuels/derivatives, with principal responsibility for engineering oversight of all fuel related projects:
- a. Formulate and synthesize alcohol-based fuels and fuels components to meet industry technical (e.g., ASTM) and commercial interests and requirements.
- b. Review and interpret technical data related to the fuel properties of alcohol, alcohol/gasoline blends and alcohol derived hydrocarbons (e.g., renewable gasoline, diesel, jet fuel, heating oil).
- c. Engineering lead with 3rd party labs and customer organizations (e.g., refiners, fuels manufacturers, trade associations, fuels distributors) to stimulate market development for alcohol.
- d. Provide technical oversight for alcohol related specifications for fuels applications.
2. Oversee all facets of engine and supply chain infrastructure compatibility testing for market applications (on-road, air transport, marine, off-road, small engine, racing and other specialty uses) of alcohol-based fuels:
- a. Develop in-house test protocols to drive robust quantitative and qualitative outcomes to ensure that test data can be fully leveraged for customer-facing activities as well as regulatory, certification and policy efforts.
- b. Work closely with organizations (e.g., research labs, commercial labs, engine manufacturers, customers, trade associations) to shape test methodologies, ensure that product stewardship and testing procedures meet established standards and provide technical expertise in the evaluation of test results.
- c. Proactively engage organizations across the fuels supply chain (e.g., pipelines, terminals, manufacturers of pumps and tanks) to fully demonstrate alcohol's drop-in compatibility with existing infrastructure.
3. Manage future fuels-related product development in support of company's strategic and commercial objectives:
- a. Improving cetane levels for diesel-based applications
- b. Expanding hydrocarbon product offerings (e.g., bio-alkylate, renewable heating oil)
- c. Evaluating value-added blending opportunities with NGL fractions
4. Provide direction and oversight to in-house lab and process chemistry teams as it relates to fuels formulation, analysis and other technical parameters for fuels chemistry related projects.
- a. Define project scope, objectives and scientific parameters
- b. Manage milestones, timelines and budgets to achieve desired outcomes
- c. Resolve engineering and technical issues as needed
5. Liaise with in-house teams (process engineering, regulatory affairs) to support company's alcohol-to-jet fuel certification activities in line with commercialization milestones.
6. Actively support fuels related business development, including presentations and customer related interface:
- a. Prepare written reports, presentations and business proposals in a timely manner
- b. Participate in commercial discussions as engineering / technical lead
- c. Attend relevant industry conferences and technical forums as subject matter expert
- d. Ensure the company has a credible voice in the room on technical related items at an industry level
7. Manage and secure intellectual property on related matters.