At Nexen, it's not just what we do that makes us a leader in our industry it's how we do it. Nexen is a Canadian-based energy company with international assets. We're building a sustainable future with our unconventional resource developments and world-class operations. From oil sands, coalbed methane and shale gas in North America to the deep waters of the Gulf of Mexico, the North Sea, offshore West Africa and the Middle East, Nexen is at the forefront of industry innovation and development.
We've earned a global reputation for doing the right thing, giving us the edge in many challenging locations around the world. Our company cares. That means we build relationships with stakeholders based on integrity and open dialogue. And, we strive to minimize the impact of our activities on communities and the natural environment. We do all we can to ensure our employees and contractors go home safely at the end of every work day. Our workplace is exciting, challenging and fun. We encourage initiative and welcome innovative ideas from everyone at any level. We're a company you can believe in.
Nexen has over 3,800 employees worldwide and is listed on both the New York and Toronto stock exchanges.
**Two Positions Available**
The Engineer - Project Process Automation, functionally reports to the Area Project Manager- Process Automation and directly to a Project Manager- OSPDE Project Delivery, and will lead and coordinate process automation design for OSPDE executed projects from scope development, implementation, and commissioning and start-up.
- Develop execution and resource plans in support of project execution plan and schedule to ensure project deliverables are met in a timely and cost effective manner;
- Manage the interface between General Automation Contractor and the EP Contractor OSPDE to deliver the Process Automation System on budget and within schedule;
- Ensure planned activities and deliverables are executed in accordance with the project execution plan and Nexen MPSO standards and procedures in all stages of the project;
- Lead and supervise the design, procurement and turnover activities for the assigned projects;
- Lead OSPDE's design and HAZOP reviews and quality inspections and tests to support the execution plan and resulting issues and actions are resolved;
- Coordinate the resolution of technical questions and/or concerns during the design, implementation, construction and start-up stages;
- Coordinate assigned activities with those of other projects and organizations as required;
- Analyze problems, identify alternative solutions, project consequences of proposed actions and implement recommendations in support of project goals and objectives in all phases on the project;
- Work with the construction manager, other area project managers and appropriate IT managers to develop an effective construction execution plan;
- Ensure that the project execution plan for the work and documentation aligns at the end of the project towards an efficient and seamless completion / turnover to operations;
- Provide effective interface to the multiple project stakeholders including Project Management, Engineering Construction and Support Services, Business Services, Ready for Operations team, site Operations and Maintenance, EP contractors, service providers etc.;
- Accommodating and coordinating expert Nexen input to the EP Contractors' designs at the appropriate times;
- Monitoring progress of the Project Deliverables in accordance with the approved schedule. Identifying potential problems with same and making mitigating recommendations;
- Monitoring the progressive cost of the project against approved budgets. Identifying potential problems with same and making mitigating recommendations;
- Controlling change to Project Deliverables during the life of the project such that only beneficial changes are presented to Project Manager for approval;
- Assuring that project deliverables from the EP Stage are complete and of high quality for use during the Fabricating, Module Assembly, Constructing and Operating Stages of the Project;
- Reporting the project cost status on a regular, periodic basis;
- Reporting the schedule status on a regular, periodic basis.
- Post-secondary degree or technical diploma, along with 10 years of experience in process automation design and execution related to the oil and gas industry;
- Self-motivated, pro-active individual who is able to work independently, as well as in a team environment;
- Excellent organizational skills;
- Strong, proactive leadership qualities that can overcome obstacles through building successful stakeholder relationships;
- Strong technical problem solving skills;
- Demonstrate initiative and assertiveness to gather stakeholder support when required;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Excellent presentation skills to subordinate and senior management audiences;
- Ability to clearly establish and articulate objectives and expectations;
- Field experience required;
- Willingness to travel and to work on-site (Fort McMurray) area for periods of time.
Nexen Inc. offers a competitive compensation and benefits package and excellent opportunities for growth and advancement.
No agency or telephone inquiries please.
Only resumes of candidates being considered will be acknowledged.