REPORTS TO: Manager Project Planning and Estimating
DEPARTMENT: Upgrade Projects
BASIC FUNCTION: Report to the Manager Project Planning and Estimating on a regular basis and will produce project schedules and assist with project estimates for Stage Gate 1 and Stage Gate 2 schedules and estimates in accordance with the New Transocean's Upgrade and Repair Projects Organization and Management Standard. Will work with all Project Managers (after the PM is assigned to a project) to produce preliminary Stage 3 schedules and estimates, prior to a project going to the execution phase.
- Review project scope as provided by Sales to prepare early budget estimates for use in the Stage Gate 1 "Business Planning/Customer Inquiry" phase.
- Review and revise preliminary estimates with Project Manager input to develop more accurate estimates to be used at the Stage Gate 2 "Scoping/Contract Negotiations" phase.
- Review project scope of work and develop preliminary schedules for Stage Gate 1 and intermediate schedules for Stage Gate 2. This will be done from simple work scopes generated for Sales, as well as intermediate schedules generated from the basic Scope of Work produced by the Project Managers.
- Produce Upgrade Projects department schedules to show what projects are planned and who will be working on which projects.
- Assist with building a department database for project schedules and cost estimates.
EDUCATION: Engineering Degree Preferred. Must have some college with direct marine industry and/or shipyard construction experience in planning and estimating, fluency with computerized scheduling programs (MS Projects and Primavera), and fluency with spreadsheets and databases (Excel and Access).
EXPERIENCE: Minimum 3 to 5 years. Must have experience working in Shipyard Production or Offshore Facilities working as an Estimator/Scheduler in a shipyard/offshore environment.
SKILLS: This will require an effective communicator to be able to work with Rig Managers, Sales staff, Engineering personnel, as well as outside Sales Engineers to make preliminary equipment selections for the cost estimates and delivery schedules. It will also take an experienced engineer who is familiar with offshore rig construction and shipyard repair work.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: Must currently have authorization to work in the United Kingdom. Understanding the requirements of the upgrades requested, based on limited scope provided for the early budget estimates, the Scheduler/Estimator will be expected to dig out information from the project originator, as well as working with Operations and Engineering to select the correct solution to the rig deficiency or upgrade being considered, and then to be able to estimate and schedule the work to be done.
SUPERVISION: Work flow comes from a variety of sources. Sales can request estimates and schedules for a prospective upgrade project. Operations may request assistance with a rig based modification schedule or cost estimate. Manager Project Planning and Estimating will be the primary source for work assignments. Work is reviewed by the Manager Project Planning and Estimating before distribution. Work product will be widely distributed within the organization for further review and approval to proceed.
INGENUITY: Must have the ability to produce schedules which graphically show the progression and interdependence of the project tasks to provide Management with a clear picture of what the project schedule will look like from the initial order to the execution and close out of the project.
DECISION MAKING: Work product can affect the entire company - the quality of the schedules and estimates produced will have a direct impact on whether a project will go forward or be stopped and recycled at each of the Stage Gates.
Employment Type: PERMANENT